Resurfaced

Sunday evening, I called Trevor. If anyone would know Alexander's schedule, it was him. I hadn't lied when I said I shouldn't take Alexander away from his responsibilities. But Alexander had been working hard to deal with the public and helping Noah run the vampire sectors. Our date was more like a break.

"Miss Borek," Trevor said, answering the phone. "His Highness, the Crown Prince, had just finished his dinner. I can transfer you over to his room."

"Not yet," I said. "I wanted to ask about Alexander's schedule."

"What did you have in mind?"

I hesitated. Saying it aloud was a bit embarrassing. "I want to go on a date with Alexander," I told him. "He's been working hard, and he needs a break."

Trevor stayed quiet. "I see what you mean," he finally said. "There's only one week left of school before Thanksgiving. Do you want to have a day before or after it?"

I bit my lip. Honestly, I wanted to go out with him sooner, but it didn't seem like his schedule allowed it.

"The sooner the better," I told him. "Even if it isn't all day. Just for a few hours."

"I might be able to move things around," he said. "However, I'm sure His Highness wouldn't mind working alongside you instead. It may not be romantic, but it'll serve the same purpose."

"That might work. Let me call you back."

I ended the call and went to find my parents. They were in the living room snacking on popcorn and watching a movie.

"Hey kiddo," Dad said.

"I won't interrupt for long," I said quickly. "But can I visit Alexander after school next week? I promise to come home for dinner."

My parents shared a glance.

"Okay," Mom said.

"I'll finish my homework too. My grade won't - huh?"

"Go ahead," Dad said. "We trust that you know what you're doing."

"Oh, okay. Thanks."

Before they could change their mind, I hurried upstairs. I called Trevor to let him know I would be visiting next week. Hopefully, with this, Alexander wouldn't feel overwhelmed with work. I could help him with some things.

The next day, Lisa came back from her absence. Almost everyone flocked to her. I overheard a few positive messages while others tried to get more information from her.

"Buzz off," I said, walking over to her table. "She doesn't want to talk to you."

Giving them my well-practiced glare, I sat beside her. Sonia, Lisa's lab partner, wasn't here yet, so it wouldn't be too much of an issue for me to take her spot.

"You feeling alright?" I asked.

Tiredly, Lisa smiled. "No," she said. "I talked to my mom; she doesn't want me missing too much school."

"She alright?"

Lisa shrugged. "I don't know. She hasn't complained to me." She looked around. "She looks okay, but I know it can't be easy."

I thought back to Alexander. "Yeah, I know what you mean."

At that moment, I spotted Sonia at the door. Time for me to go.

"If you need anything, let me know. We can have a sleepover again."

Lisa smiled. "Thanks."

Throughout the morning, I checked on her whenever I had the time. I invited her to sit with Alexander's fan club and me during lunch, but her dad picked her up early.