Lady Hargrave

"Welcome to Hargrave Manor, Your Highness. My name is Brenden and I'll be serving you today."

Brenden was an exact splitting image of Trevor. Being a butler to the Royal family seemed to run in the family. We stood in a large foyer with rooms on either side of us. There were two staircase that lead up to the second floor. Everything here looked shinny. Nothing compared to Alexander's home or the palace but still impressive.

"Lady Hargrave is waiting in the tea room."

We followed Brenden through the house. I couldn't see any other servants or guards around but maybe that was intentional. Impressive portraits and art decorated the hallway. From the direction we were headed, we seemed to be going through the house.

My suspicions were correct when the hallway ended at a door. As we stepped through, it opened up to an awning with an garden to our right. Brenden lead us through the garden, past an abundance of flowers, where we came upon an outdoor patio set with, what I could only assume was, Lady Hargrave sitting at one of the tables, with a white and gold teacup held in her fingers. She had a light blue, vintage swing cocktail dress with short sleeves.

Lady Hargrave was a curly haired woman with eyes that looked right into your head. I curtsied just like Mr. Adams taught me. At least, I might have but I couldn't be sure.

"I greet Her Majesty, Lady Hargrave."

"Mom," Alexander said.

It was only then that Lady Hargrave stood. She smiled and embraced Alexander. It was then she looked down at me and, with a tilt of her chin, asked me to stand upright. My legs groaned in protest.

Alexander pulled me closer. "This is Rin. I wrote to you about her."

Lady Hargrave gave me a quick glance before gesturing to the chairs.

"Please take a seat. Brenden have brunch be served. We can eat here in the nice weather."

"Right away, my lady," he said.

With a bow, he departed.

Alexander pulled a chair out for me, pushed me back in, before sitting himself. On the round table was a three-tiered tray with an assortment of sweets at the tops, scones in the center, and small sandwiches on the bottom.

"I received your gift," she said. "It was . . . a lovely . . . surprise."

Alexander blinked in surprise. I had forgotten to tell him about it. Plus, I had also forgotten Camellia had picked it up. She hadn't told me she'd sent it. Then again, I might have left it at home if I'd been in charge.

"It's a small token to commemorate this day," I replied smoothly.

Alexander grabbed my hand. "That was nice was of you."

"It was only proper," I told him.

However, the way she said it, the pauses, made me think that she didn't think it was very lovely. But that was normal, right? Parents were protective of their children. My dad still acted cold towards Alexander. It made sense that Lady Hargrave would act like this to me.

Brenden's return with two servants, cutting that conversation off. The servants placed Danish treats, mini toasts, fruit tarts, and fruit on the table. They added two wine glasses and a dark red bottle of wine without any markings. My mouth watered looking at all the food.

Despite my hunger, I waited for Lady Hargrave to be poured a class before I thought about grabbing food. Alexander was also poured a glass of what was not wine. Noticing this, I glanced at Alexander. He didn't seem to perturb by that. Instead of the glass, he took a couple of sandwiches and placed them on my plate before eating one himself.