Senior Year

The days flew by and all of a sudden, my alarm woke me up at 6:30. 

Groaning, I rolled over and covered my head with the comforter.

"Rin!" Mom hollered from the hallway. "You'll be late for orientation."

Groaning again, I sat up and turned my alarm off. It was then that I noticed the message on my phone. It was from Alexander.

'Have a great day at school,' it said.

It seemed that maybe he wasn't going to make it. It's not like he had to anyways. Some students had their internship in the first half of the day and their classes in the afternoon. I'm sure the school also lets a few students have online courses for all their subjects. It just depended on their circumstances. Maybe Alexander was one of them.

'have a great day,' I sent back.

Truth be told, I wasn't ready. Unlike the years before, this year I would have classes in the morning and my internship in the afternoon. Well, if I had an internship. Despite looking for the rest of the summer, I hadn't found anything.

The school sent me an email stating that until I find an internship, I would be with a career advisor applying for more internships and 'obtaining skills that made me suitable for the positions'. The seniors who also didn't find an internship would be in the same class.

Whatever classes I didn't finish would be taken online. These were due in May next year. 

"Rin, are you out of bed yet?"

Mom knocked for one second before walking in. The hallway light spilled in the room. Seeing me in bed, she turned on the lights. My eyes closed at the sudden exposure. 

"Let's go. You don't want to be late."

Once I blinked away the tears, I finally saw her outfit. She wore a pantsuit and her hair was pulled back in a low bun. That outfit was new. In her hands, she had a compact mirror and between her fingers her mascara brush.

"Why are you dressed like that?"

"What?" she asked. "This is how I dress to go to work."

"You're usually in khaki slacks," I reminded her.

She shrugged. "It's time to make an impression, I supposed. So, hurry up and wear something nice."

I went with a pair of olive green shorts and a white button-down. Instead of just brushing my hair back, I took the time to braid my hair into a side ponytail. 

"Rin, we're going to be late," Dad said from downstairs.

I grabbed my backpack and phone before heading to the kitchen. Mom handed me a lunch kit.

"Seniors can eat off campus because of their internship but because you don't have one, you'll have to eat on campus."

"I could have bought lunch," I reminded her.

"Here's something extra," mom said. "You seem to have more of an appetite lately."

"Thanks," I said.

We rushed out of the house soon after orientation started at 7:30 sharp.

Mom went ahead to work and Dad took me to school. To think this was the last year he'd take me to school. My throat closed up. Better enjoy it while I can.

We rounded the corner and came to a stop. The line into school was long. It alw­ays seem to be like that. when the line at the checkpoint was short, the line to school was long and vice versa.

There was little progress in the next ten minutes. Only fifteen minutes remained and Dad had to get to work by nine if not earlier. If he didn't leave now, he'll be late.