Epilogue

"We did it!" Sandra cried, gripping her fake diploma tightly.

We stood in the parking as parents and students took photos around the school. Luckily, I didn't have to worry about that.

"We need a picture," Brissa said. "Let me see if my dad can come take it."

She hurried off before we could say anything.

"It's a shame Prince Rothchester didn't stay," Amber lamented.

"He's busy," I told her.

She made a face. "I mean, you get to see him whenever you want. We have to wait until he makes a public appearance."

"Wow," I teased. "That makes it sound like you won't miss me."

Amber gaped at me. "No! That's not - no!"

I smiled. "I'm kidding."

Brissa returned with her father. She had mentioned he was an accountant.

"Dad," she said. "These are my friends."

After our round of introductions, we posed for a few pictures. Our parents took turns snapping pictures with their phones. Even my mom took pictures of everyone. Just as we were finishing up, my phone went out with an alert. Then everyone's phone went off.

I looked down and saw Alexander's message.

"You threw a party!" Sandra squealed. "For the whole school?!"

I looked from my phone to her. What message did they get?

"OMG! The limos are here!" Brissa exclaimed, pointing.

As the girls - and the rest of the school - waited excitedly by the sidewalk, I read my message.

"I have a surprise for you," it read. "Come to this address. Joseph will pick you up."

A very familiar car pulled up to the curb beside me. When I peeked in through the window, I saw Joseph.

"What's going on?" my mom asked from behind me.

I turned. "Alexander invited us to a party," I told her.

"Have fun," she said.

"Really?" I asked for a frown. "I thought you wanted to have dinner together."

"We can do it tomorrow," she said. She nudged my dad. "Right?"

"Sure," Dad said. "Be safe though."

I glanced at the car. "Okay," I said. "I won't be out too long."

My car led the procession all the way downtown where we stopped in front of a hotel.

"What's going on here?" I asked Joseph. "Did Alexander plan all this?"

"You'll see," he told me.

Exiting the car, the hotel staff rolled out the red carpet for us. Everyone practically swarmed inside. I loitered around the entrance. I wasn't sure why I hesitated. If I had to try to explain it, it would probably be this feeling of surrealness.

"Rin," Brissa called. "You coming?"

"Yeah, in a bit," I told her. "I want some air."

"How about waiting in the lobby?" Sandra asked. "A little safer too."

I smiled. "Yeah, okay."

They held the door open for me as I walked in.

"Are you sure you alright?" Amber asked.

"Yeah," I told her. "You guys go on ahead. I'll catch up in a moment."

I stayed in the lobby and sat on one of the leather benches. What was wrong with me? I should be happy and excited. My hands wouldn't stop shaking. Standing, I paced around.