The Truth

Even though I didn't need to worry about meeting Alexander's mom anytime soon, I did need to worry about school. The rest of the weekend I stayed home, catching up on assignments. We had two weeks before our November break.

Unfortunately, Carlos kept blowing up my phone with messages. Halfway through my math homework, he called me. I glared at my phone beside my leg before answering it.

"I told you, didn't I?" Carlos said as a greeting.

I frowned. "What?"

"The bidding event was important," he replied.

"Carlos, it's too early for this. Did you want something?"

"It's 2pm."

"I'm going to hang up."

"No, wait. Have you seen the forum?"

"No," I told him. "I've been catching up on school work."

"It's going crazy," he said. "Everyone is saying they predicted the attack. Of course, they're lying. There are some accounts I've been tracking that are suspicious."

"Send it to the email I told you about," I interjected.

"I did," he said. "I wanted to give you a heads up."

I rubbed my eyes. "Appreciate it."

My phone beeped. Looking at it, Lisa's name flashed across the screen.

"I have another call," I said." Let's talk later."

Ending Carlos' call, I answered Lisa.

"Girl," Lisa said. "What happened?"

Why was it that nobody knew how to say hello today.

"Hey Lisa" I said. "How's it going? How are you?

"Rin? I -" She stopped and sighed. "I'm not great. My mom is missing."

The breath rushed out of my chest.

"What? Since when?"

"She was at the embassy last night," Lisa replied. "Dad and I can't get ahold of her."

Oh. So that's what she called me. My gut twisted. Alexander had said the officials would get quarantined. Had their family members not been told?

I licked my lips. "The news said -"

"Everyone knows what the news said," she interrupted. "I need the truth. I get not being able to see them but we should at least talk to them if they really are okay."