Riot

"The Royal line should not be sullied!"

I sat in front of the television, chewing on my red thumb, as the camera panned across the protestors outside the palace. It had only been a few hours since the end of the celebration, and suddenly, a horde of vampires had gathered around the palace, shouting their disagreement. This was the last thing I'd been expecting. We knew not everyone would agree, but I never thought they would protest.

"Rin, you shouldn't be watching that," my mom said.

I didn't notice her come in. She grabbed the remote and turned the television off.

We didn't have a chance to go home. We came to the palace to sleep and were now stuck here. Being close to Alexander wasn't bad either, but he, Noah, and Violet were dealing with the masses. King Lionel, however, had yet to step in.

"I know," I sighed, "but I can't help it. What are we going to do?"

Mom sat beside me. "What? You're backing out now?"

"No," I said. "I just didn't expect such a strong reaction."

She rubbed my back. "You have to realize that this doesn't represent everyone's feelings," she said.

"How do you know?"

"Look at me."

And I did.

"You already said you weren't back out. An apology isn't even going to do anything. The best thing to do is hold your head up high and keep pushing forward."

I leaned against her. "You're right. How could they have gathered so quickly? There's so many of them."

"Someone must have planned it," Mom said. "These people didn't wake up and decide to come protest this morning."

"The ceremony was televised," I said. "They must have seen it last night."

"And what? All these strangers agreed to meet at the same time and place?"

I shrugged. "Maybe."

She shook her head. "I don't believe it. An effort like this takes time. Besides, how did they get past the guards?"

That was the question.

"I guess the guards can't remove them," I muttered.

"Not right now," Mom said. "I'm sure sooner or later; they'll get removed. The palace isn't exactly public property."

"Should I go out and talk to them?" I asked.

Mom gave me a look. "And say what? Sorry you don't like me, but I'm still marrying your prince? How is that going to end for you?"

I groaned. She was right. Again.

"So, they'll camp out," I said, "and never leave until their demands have been met."

"Have faith in Alexander and his family," she said. "They'll figure something out."

That was the issue. It was always Alexander that solved my problems. I hadn't done anything for myself.

"Your dad and I are having lunch. Do you want to join us?"

I shook my head. "I'll stay here. I don't have much of an appetite."

Mom kissed my head. "I'll have Trevor bring you something."

I smiled at her as she left. When the door closed, Camelia crawled out from under the bed.

'Your mom is right,' she said. 'Someone organized the protest. We both have a good idea of who it is.'

Sighing, I laid back on the bed, staring at the ceiling. "We don't have any proof," I told her. "That was the whole point of pushing our ceremony up by months."

'I'm saddened to hear that the Crown Princess is upset her ceremony didn't give her what she wanted.'

I winced. "Sorry," I muttered. "I didn't mean it like that."

'What do you plan to do?'

"I don't know if I can do anything."

'You have authority now. It's up to you how you use it.'

"That's the scary part. I don't want to make a mistake. It's not about me anymore."

Camelia jumped on the bed and curled up beside me. 'It's a good thing I chose to back you.'

"Why are they after you?" I asked, trying to change the subject. "You never told me what you found."

'It's better if you don't know,' she said. 'You would be in a lot more danger if you did.' Then, 'thank you for protecting me. Not many would go against the mafia.'

"You helped me out before," I reminded her. "I thought it was best to return the favor." I hesitated. "And thanks for trusting me."

Half an hour later, I left a sleeping Camelia and went looking for food. Mom probably forgot to send me anything. As I walked down the hallway, my phone buzzed in my pocket. It was from Lisa.

'I thought you should see this,' the message read.

Attached were two videos. I played the first one.

It was another video from the Extremist. 'Don't let the royal line be sullied. Oust the outsider.'

The second video was of another riot. This time the signs said 'Traitor'.

My eyes prickled. So, even humans were against me. Why would Lisa send me something like this?

'Don't let it bother you,' Lisa sent. 'There will always be others that will never approve of you. Cassidy still deals with things like this. Everyone who matters is backing you. Don't forget that.'

I wiped my eyes. She had a strange way of trying to cheer me up. Sighing, I put my phone back in my pocket. But instead of walking to the kitchen, I walked to the front door. I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but I had to do something.

"Lady Rin," Trevor said behind me.

I stopped and turned, embarrassed to get caught.

"Was there something I could help you with?" he asked.

I hesitated. "How long have the protestors been out there?" I asked.

"Early," he said.

"How about we get them some food and refreshments?" I asked. "That might . . . help the situation?"

"That can be arranged," he said. "Perhaps you would like to oversee the preparation. And if I may be so bold, get something to eat."

"Sure," I said. "I'd like that."

Maybe I wasn't ready to talk to a group of people, but they had a right to their opinion, and my job wasn't to change their minds. Nothing I said would affect them. But action, on the other hand, might change their minds. Or maybe at least it would force them to think.