When Brothers Father: Part Two

[reminder: macarthur james is Jah's dad & Lonnie's uncle/adoptive father & Maverik's younger brother]

MacArthur left the house to sit in the car and collect his thoughts. No one ever knew whether Black had been faking it or if he really didn't remember a lot of things that had either happened to him or happened because of him. Arthur had done everything in his power to protect his nephew and adopted son from what could eventually happen— exactly what happened today.

Feeling regret for the decisions he's made over time, he decided to call his brother. Reluctantly, he went to his contacts and dialed Maverik's number— something he hadn't done in the better of four years. Every so often, something would come up with Lonnie and he'd ask for his help which was usually met with an ambiguous "he's your problem now" response, followed by an ending of the call. So naturally, he avoided dialing the forty-seven year old's number. This time, however, he was giving his older brother no choice but to step in. He'd taken all Mav's battles for him since they were kids. It's time for him to step up.

The phone rang until the answering machine picked up which wasn't a problem to Mac. He was notorious for calling until someone answered without embarrassment. On the fifth try, the phone clicked, an irritated sigh could be heard on the other end. "Hello?" Mav said.

"Maverik, my brotha. How you feeling today?"

"Grand, why."

"Good. Can we meet?"

"If this is about your son—

"I know I took him in. It was to help you out. You know I'd do anything for you. But, I can't help but feel that that sentiment is not mutual."

"Of course it's not, cuz that's a stupid thing to promise." He said in a 'Duh' tone.

MacArthur sighed heavily, "Speaking of stupid. Your choices have come back to bite."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean... something triggered Lonnie's memory. He remembers.... Everything."

"Fuck sake." He complained into the phone. The rustling of him gathering himself and some keys jingling could be heard in the background.

"I need you to help me figure this shit out, Maverik. He's the type of kid to either turn himself in or worse..."

"Worse? What can be worse than going to prison?" Maverik asked rather dumbly of no surprise to his younger brother.

"Taking yourself out of your own misery, Maverik. Suicide is the number one killer in his age demographic. It's higher than gang related violence. Then, on top of this, he's going through a lot right now in his personal life and I don't want either of these things to happen to my boy. And Maverik, These yo genes he got. You the reason he's like this and it was your decision to pretend nothing happened the first time."