(UN)Familiar

July 04
Cole

3:19p
"So, your nigga's don't know who I am?" Jemaika asked Cole.

"Well, they... no. But, it's not because of your or nothing, I just haven't really been cool with them for a while."

"Oh, what happened?"

"A lot of passive shit. Ever since around March, everybody just been a little distant.We used to be mad close, we really are brothers for real, I guess we just need a lil break from each other from time to time."

"Awe."

"What?"

"You should see your face when you talk about them."

"They just, really all I got. I ain't tell you I grew up in foster care. So, my people really mean everything to me."

"I can tell." Her eyes were gleaming and I could tell she wanted to know more, but I don't really want to talk about it.

"You ready to go in?" I started grabbing my wallet and keys.

"Can we just chill out here for a few more minutes? You never opened up to me before. I don't want to rush the moment away." She put her hand on my leg and looked up at me with a smile. She's soft as fuck when she wants to be.

"Who's house is this? It's beautiful. I've never been over here before. I thought it was all abandoned and shit over here. My daddy used to tell me about the riots that happened down the street from here in the sixties. He said this area never recovered."

"Ohh yeah. That was over near Rosa Parks and Clairmont, that area do still look like it did then. But people do still live over here. I used to live on La Salle when I was in foster care. This is a lil district set apart from everything else. But this is Oz house. Cobe step-dad."

"Oh, so y'all lived near eachother. That's how yal met?"

"Nah, me and Dame met Cobe in middle school at UPrep. But, I met Dame when I was eight or nine. He looked out for me, we was in the same house for a couple years."

"Yal got separated?"

"No, well sort of. I.. I got adopted." I could tell by how she was looking at me like she just saw a kid get spanked that she was seeing straight through me. I can't hide how shitty I still feel that I left Dame to all that shit that was happening at that house. He never really told me anything that was happening, but sometimes when he'd come over, he'd be a lot quieter or wouldn't take his shirt off at the pool... It was always little things that no one else would notice, but since I knew what he was going through, I did. How could I leave him there after he looked out for me like a brother?

"You felt guilty or something?"

"I did.. I still do. Well I .." I cleared my throat thinking of how I could not continue without her feeling like I'm closing her off again. I mean I am, sort of, but-

"We can go in now... if you want."

"Yeah. Lemme just.." I rubbed my face and took a few deep breaths trying to wisk away any weird thoughts and feelings I had about Dame or Cobe before going in. I got out of the car walking slowly around to the passenger side buying more time to clear my head.

Oz is throwing a cookout at his house. He invited all of us and everyone is going to be here except Cecil, as usual, but at least this time we know where he is.

As soon as I opened the passenger door, Kofi, Cobe's little cousin came jogging across the street. "Yo Cole!" He yelled when he got a bit closer. " Yo man, I been waiting for you to show up. Kwabena told me you was coming."