Blood On Me

Next morning
August 5
Quincy

There was a knock at the door sometime after nine in the morning that woke me up. I was sleep on Kwabena's couch when I heard it. I got up when he didn't come out of the room, and answered the door. It was a young woman with locs.

"Hey, is Cobe here?" She asked in the sweetest voice if ever heard on a woman. I nodded and let her in.

"I'm Quincy." I said, locking the door back. She put her hand out.

"Cheyenne." She said, shaking my hand. "I've never seen you around before."

"I'm not around. Its a special occasion." I said and she raised her eyebrows, looking me up and down. I shook my head.

"I never seen you around either, sis." I said, walking to the couch, taking a seat which got a weird reaction from her. "What?"

"So, where is he?"

"He had a rough night, I don't want to wake him up yet."

"Oh, is he okay?"

"No." I said.

"Okay? Well, I guess I'll go check on him."

"I really think you should just let him rest though. He could at least get that."

"That felt like shade but it certainly couldn't be since you don't know me?" She whipped her head around.

"I'm just saying. Where's all his folks right now? I'm the only one here."

"And where am I?"

"Yeah, and I don't even know who you are to him. All the niggas he be so worried about aren't even here when he needs them."

"You sound angry." She said, ignoring what I said and walking into the back of the apartment.

"Who-" Cobe asked, coming down the hallway, "Oh. What up Chey. What you doing here?" He asked, side hugging her.

"Cobe, is something wrong? Your eyes are all puffy." She examined him, turning his face from side to side. "Have you been crying?"

"Nah, I'm alright. You okay?" He asked, nonchalantly.

"Yeah. I was just coming over because I wanted to take you to breakfast."

"Huh?" He laughed. Looking from her to me. "Why?"

"Well. My girl is out of commission right now, so I'm all alone. And you're the only other person I'm cool with so."

"Sadé? She went back home?"

"No, she's still in the city. She went into labor and can't have anymore visitors until after she delivers because she's high risk. But, I spent all day with her yesterday. Anyway, now that my baby boy has made friends at the Rec Center, I don't have anything to do during the day anymore. Me and Sadé usually just ki-ki all day long. So, now I have to come bug you until I can see her again."

"Oh. Yeah, Cole called me last night about it. I don't know how I forgot. When did she go into labor?"

"Last night. Well this morning really, like around 1 am. But, her water broke yesterday morning."

Cobe shook his head. He chuckled, "Wow, life be moving fast, for real." He mumbled walking back to his room.

Me and Cheyenne looked at each other. I could see the hesitation in her movements, she wanted to follow him and ask more questions, but she went with the less problematic option. Ask me questions. "So. Are you Cobe's boyfriend?" She cheesed.

"No."

"Why? You're cute."

"I'm not gay."

"I knew Cobe was gay within two minutes of meeting him. My gaydar is strong. Lie again."