MOONLIGHT SONATA

Cole

I woke up to the smell of breakfast cooking downstairs. It made me smile because it brought back memories of my childhood in this exact loft. But, that isn't what awakened me from my sleep, it wasn't Cecil III playing Just Dance in the living room either. What woke me up out of my reoccurring dream was this anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach. It didn't feel bad like something was wrong, but I was definitely being warned about something huge coming. I laid in bed watching the clouds through my window when there was a knock at my door.

"Yeah?" I sat up in the bed making sure I was covered since I sleep naked.

"You up yet? Chey made breakfast. And I wanna chat witchu ." It was Cecil.

"I'm up, give me a second." I ran to my closet and found some sweats to put on and a tshirt. As soon as I was clothed I opened the door to let him in. There was something different about him. He seemed to be excited about something. He walked in and closed the door behind him before making himself comfortable on my bed. He laid back staring at the ceiling with a smile on his face.

"You didn't have sex in my house did you?"

"No. Even if I did though, I'm grown nigga."

"So What you so giddy for then?"

"I'm taking my son and Cheyenne to Africa tomorrow. I finally get to show them why I've been gone bro."

"Why have you been gone?"

"I was working on something. I came back home because I thought it fell through. I didn't want to waste anymore time on it."

"So..."

"I got a call this morning. Nigga, I made shit shake. I got land, a big ass house, an office building, employees... shit, I can go on and on and on just know that I ain't dust in the wind no more nigga, I've finally settled in the best sense bro."

"Damn, I'm happy as fuck for you CJ. You know momma would be proud of you. I'm proud of you."

"Thank you baby. I really fucked up for leaving so I really hope she's watching us now. Me and you, we doing big things baby boy."

"I know she is CJ. But I hope she ain't too mad about what it took for us to get here."

"You such a buzzkill Cole. Really?"

"Hahaha I'm just saying bro. But it's a good ass day and we gone keep it that way." Our momma used to say that to us whenever something small tried to ruin a good day like a argument or bad traffic on the freeway. He smiled at the comment probably thinking about the last time he heard the phrase.

"Cole, I been thinking. I know you're all alone out here now, so I was wondering if you wanted to come with us? You don't have to stay or anything, you know... just come for like a month or so-"

"Are you serious?"

"As a damn heart attack baby brother. You coming or naw?"

"Yeah bro. I'm in."

This must be the big news I felt I would get this morning. Cecil and I made our way downstairs to eat breakfast. I sat at the table and watched as Cecil pried C3 away from the Nintendo switch. The two of them and Chey joined me at the table. Chey says grace and we dig in to the meal she blessed us with. But, as I raise a fork full of Eggs to my mouth, the anxious feeling returns heavily in the pit of my stomach.

————————-

After eating breakfast, Cecil jr, C3, Chey and I are sitting in the living room watching the Aladdin Live Action when my phone rings. It's my manager. I answer the phone while getting up from the couch and walking out to the terrace.