LaLuna

July 04

6:19p
Exiting the bathroom, Lonnie bumped into Cobe who had just come down the stairs. Cobe continued walking as if nothing happened, but Lonnie felt as if this was God giving him a chance to make things right with him, so he followed Cobe and started with, "Cobe, man. How you been?"

"I'm aight. You?" He mumbled, barely giving Lonnie any attention.

"Yeah..."

Cobe walked away quickly turning the corner into the kitchen with Lonnie still in tow. "Um... thanks for the call." He said, standing a few feet away from his first love.

Opening the refrigerator, Cobe deflected with a nonchalant, "Dame called you, not me." while putting all his attention on the shelf that only had one selection of pop. Cobe continued scanning the fridge as if he might find something new.

"I just... look. I-"

"Damn, that's crazy. I only came down here get a pop." Cobe interrupted.

Lonnie messed with the cigarette behind his ear in frustration."So you not even gone let me speak?" He spoke low in his deep voice commanding Cobes attention with his inquiry.

Cobe grabbed a can of Red Faygo pop before He turned around, facing Lonnie, expressionless and cold. The weight of their once cohesive and dependent relationship, now severed and sour, sagged heavy between the two. Neither having the power to lift it , neither knowing how to fix what has been broken but knowing things could never be the same between them, Lonnie wanted nothing more than for Cobe to forgive him for not having the courage to stand up for him when Arthur questioned his intentions. After all, his pops always knew what was best for him.

"I'm sorry that our relationship was trashed because of all that shit... But, Cobe... I had to protect myself." He pleaded, eyes staring deep into Cobes, searching for forgiveness.

"From me?"

"No! You know what, I already explained it to you. But I meant what I said at the hospital. I still mean it. I lov-"

"The fuck is this?" An amused Jah questioned what he saw and might've heard when he strolled into the kitchen. Lonnie hadn't realized how close he had gotten to Cobe until Jah came into the room interrupting their conversation. He stepped back and turned around adjusting his hat — watching Cobe take this opportunity to scurry back to wherever he was hiding at before. Lonnie shrugged his shoulders at his brother while crossing his arms and legs and leaning up against the sink. Jah continued eyeing Lonnie with a rather radiant smile mixed with curiosity and gratification.

"Pops don't believe we over here with Dame." He attempted to change the subject, but there was no way Jah wasn't going to act on the golden opportunity to investigate Lonnies personal life.

"Yeah, me either.." Jah's eager smile was making Lonnie nervous because he knew what was coming next. He'd never come out to his family, but he assumed they'd long figured it out. It was just a matter of time before someone brought it up with him.

"So, 'member when you was sixteen and we was at Cedar Point and I thought I saw you doing something with a nigga but you said I was mistaken? I believed you then, I don't think I do anymore."

"Why you bringing that up?" Curious as to what the connection between the memory and the moment was. "Cuz I think he ain't your friend." Jah pointed his thumb to the hallway referring to Cobe.

"No shit." Lonnie squinted acknowledging the awkwardness between he and Cobe that Jah clearly just witnessed.

"No, dumbass. I'm saying... can you be honest with me for once?"