17. But, am I the drama?

a/n: dang, y'all couldn't do a lil 'hey girl' or nothing on the interlude? 😅

[Lonnie James, 25]

Lonnie:
"Ma, I give up." I texted from the secluded bar on the outskirts of the family meeting. "I'm so tired to trying to convince the world of who I am." I couldn't even watch them as they talked about how everything is happening because of me. "But idk, maybe I am just like him." I been hearing the same conversation since I was a kid. Always from the same spot, somewhere on the outskirts. Never watching but always listening. At twenty-five it should be easier to hear how much niggas hate you. But it's no easier now, hearing how even Maurice got fucked up, than it was hearing Maverik tell my uncle that he can't understand why I couldn't just be like the other kids. I was only five. He wanted me to be more social, laugh and play but he been screaming at me since I was born; wasn't nothing to smile about. Ain't nothing to smile about now.

Even still, I was always told how i'm alot like Maverik. In many ways. But we never got along. I remember seeing a video from when I was learning to walk.

1997
"I give up, ma." Maverik slid down the wall of their small room in the basement. "I don't know why he wont do it for me."

"You gotta have a little patience, baby." She told him, refusing to come out of her hiding spot where she was secretly watching her baby's father try to bond with their seven month old boy.

"Come on, Lonnie." He begged, "I'm right here." He had his arms out with the camera set up near where Luna was hiding. She wanted to show Maverik that the baby had a bond with him too. She hid so she wouldn't influence his decision to walk. "Come to daddy, boy. Use them big ol' legs my baby."

"It's cause he sees the camera. Move it."

"But then he gonna see me. I don't want him to see me."

"Ma, he can hear you anyway. He looking right over there."

She sucked her teeth, reluctantly reaching her arm out for the bulky canon. The baby clocked her immediately cooing, "Ma." Just how his daddy says it. He pointed at her, looking at his father. "Go ahead." He rolled his eyes as the baby finally moved from his spot, crawling towards his mother. He got close to his father and used his leg as a brace to stand up. Maverik shook his head at the predictable baby. "You only love yo momma." He pursed his lips, watching as he stumbled over to his mother.

She picked him up and Maverik stood walking over to the duo. He rubbed Lonnie's cheek with the back of his hand, "Little momma's boy."

Luna smiled, "Now tell Daddy you love him." And the baby reached out for his father only to fake him out when Maverik went to grab him. Luna laughed along with the baby while Mav stood by with a sullen face. She pushed his arm, "Lighten up big head. He get that phony shit from your childish ass."