TAKE CARE

Cobe
12:32pm

I pull into the driveway of Oz's old school brick house in the Boston Edison District where the Black doctors and shit used to live before them riots in '67. He said he used to dream about living on this block as a kid, he grew up not too far from here on La Salle. To my dismay, his car is already in the driveway. I walk into the house and he's sitting at the breakfast counter waiting for me. I say hey and walk past him but he grabs my arm pulling me back. I roll my eyes. Here we go.

"Unh unh boy. You think you just gon walk past me?" He scolds squinting his eyes and cocking his head at me. " I told you what time to be home, you late."

"Yeah, but it's been a wild morning pop. I just need to hop in the shower" He loosens his grip on me. Shit, that was too easy. He lets me go but I'm still standing there because I'm not sure what to do. I'm not tryna piss him off before we have 'the talk'.

"I DONT HAVE ALL DAY. Go get yo ass in the shower 'for I lose my patience Kwabena."

"Uhmm.... nevamind man..." I say to him hoping to get the convo over with quickly. I sit at the table instead of at the counter beside him. He looks at me but I can't tell what he's thinking from his expression. So I look down at my hands waiting for him to begin.

After two long ass minutes, he finally clears his throat to speak. Shifting in his seat so he's facing me, he says, " You're a grown ass man and I'm not going to belittle you nor will I undermine your experiences. I am not here to disrespect you or treat you like a little boy. So, with that being said.... if at any time during this conversation I make you feel disrespected, respectfully... RESPECTFULLY, bring me down a notch. Aight? I am your father and I love you. However..."

I shift in my seat looking down at the table. This makes him stop talking so I look up at him.

"Kwabena... you wanna make grown man decisions you need to be able to have grown man conversation. Look at me when we're talkin'. C'mon man, sit up straight and take it serious aight." I can see in his face that he isn't angry so I relax a bit.

"My bad" I mumble. He starts to laugh at me. I feel uncomfortable.

"C'mon baby loosen the fuck up Cobe. It's just me..."
He continues laughing at me. This nigga tickled as hell. I suck my teeth and look away from him in irritation.

" Aye... aight aight. Where was I? However, you know how I feel about my house. This is my home.... my sanctuary..... my my my.... my place of peace and relaxation. When you bring strangers, you messing with the energy man. If I don't know these people then it don't sit well with my spirit and that throws the balance off. Now, I can't relax. And when I can't relax I get... you know.... Uh.. disrespectful." He nods his head satisfied with himself.

" I been letting you slide recently because you've been home more than I have." Then he pauses thinking for a bit. "I got a question for you." He says with a half smile. He's trying to be light hearted but I can tell he's uncomfortable with the upcoming topic. We've never talked about sex before. No one ever gave me 'the talk'. So this is new territory for the both of us.

"Oz I..." I swallow hard not wanting to have to hear the question. I decided it might be easier if I just say it. "I'm gay." Neither of us says anything for at least 30 seconds. "Well technically I'm bisexual" I say hoping it will be more acceptable. But when he still doesn't say anything, I recant, "but I prefer men." I scratch the back of my head. I clear my throat feeling uncomfortable.

"Okay.... aight.... so. Imma be frank witchu Cobe. I already figured that shit out years ago. But..... I wasn't expecting for you to say that to me." I feel like he's talking in slow motion. Did he say a years?? "I never thought we'd have this conversation." He says scratching behind his ear. He adjusts his glasses.