15. evil eye

Mohammed Omir, 26

August 5

"He missed?" Mo groaned as soon as he realized he was indeed alive.

"Mo." He heard a distinct female voice. "It's me, Jill. How you feeling?"

"How bad is it?"

"You lost your eye for one."

"Well I can see that." He let out a low raspy attempt at a laugh that only made him feel more pain, "I can't see shit." He mumbled, reaching up to touch his face but only felt cotton cloths and tape. "Where am I?"

"Your parents' house. Me and Khadijah did the best we could. You're gonna be fine though."

"Why you saying shit like 'we did the best we could' as if you fucked up!" He tried to yell but was cut short by a painful cough.

"Stop talking."

"No you stop talking." He tried to move but couldn't, "What the hell did y'all do to me?"

"Relax."

"Don't tell me to relax, I can barely move. How much more relaxed you want me?"

"Khadijah sewed you up. The bullet didn't go through your head. I dont not how it didn't, but it didn't. It went across the front of your face though." She told him shakiness evident in her voice. "What happened?"

"I mean, obviously you were shot. But, why?"

"You know not to ask me no shit like that."

"You should be dead."

"But I ain't."

"Which is why I'm asking. You're gonna try and get them back and they're gonna really kill you this time."

"You seen that shit in your little cards or something? Your crystal ball? That weak ass nigga missed. You think he getting another chance?" He sucked his teeth.

She glared at him, offended and irritated. "You know what?" She huffed, "I'm going home."

But then there was a knock on the front door. "It's that boy." His mom came into the room alerting him of the unexpected visitor.

"What boy ma? Jill, can you see who it is?"

Jill got up while his mom was still trying to describe the boy she'd only seen from afar in the past. Mo's mother never knew him or met him but she recognized him.

"It's Cobe." She said plainly. He nearly sprung from the bed but Jill ran to his side, calming him, getting him to lay back down.

"Nobody can know i'm here. Especially not him." He said, nearly panicking.

"Why not?"

"If anybody finds out i'm alive I know who talked. I can't help what happens after that." He threatened.