Chapter 1: The bar

The world is a funny place

And so are people.

Between the people and the world there is one obvious difference. We do not know how to read the world.

From one look at a person, we can read their whole life.

Sometimes it is as easy as to recognize black and white. Other times it's not so easy

But the truth is always in the eyes.

It was always easy for me to read the eyes.

So why can't I read hers?

They're the only thing I can see on her. Two radiant green emeralds.

Her head is covered with a hood and her mouth with a mask. But I can still see that she's smiling.

The laptop where I had important stuff, was under her arm, while she was sitting at the edge of a window, ready to jump.

"Bye handsome." She winked at me and saluted, before she jumped.

I ran to the window, trying to find her beneath. To my surprise, the only people on my property were my man. Not her.

"Secure the perimeter!" I screamed at one of my men. He immediately announced it to everyone. "Fuck." I screamed as I threw the lamp on my desk across the room.

On that laptop I had my whole life. Every little information on there could be used. In the wrong hands, it could destroy every alliance across the Globe.

And a woman stole it from me, Straight" from under my nose.

Three years later...

"Killian Acker. I'm so glad you found some time on me in your busy schedule." With an amused voice, Simon walked over to me.

He is one of the people I have known since forever. The first time we met was when I was fifteen, and he was twenty-seven. I tried to steal money from him on the street. Long story short, we became great friends.

Since then, we both got into better positions in society.

He has eyes and ears everywhere. He knows about everything that's happening. Sometimes even sooner that it happens.

Some people would call him dangerous because of everything he knows. I'm happy to call him a friend.

If he's not with you, he's against you. And you do not want that.

"I expect you to not waste it."

"I liked you better when you were younger. And shorter." He shook my hand.

"And your grip is weaker. You're getting old Simon." I tried to hold a smile.

"I'm sure I'm still able to kick your ass. Wouldn't be the first time either."