Chapter 52: Carelessness

"Good morning, sleepyheads

"Good morning, sleepyheads." Valentina welcomed us in the dining room. "I was already afraid that I would eat all by myself. Sit down." She pointed in front of her.

"Thank you so much for letting me sit in my own house. How nice of you Val." Killian grabbed my hand and pulled me to the table.

"Was that a joke? Oh my god, Killian said a joke." She looked at him in surprise. "Is the world ending?"

"Really funny." Killian rolled his eyes, but I could see the tiny smile he was trying to hide.

He pushed my chair out and waited for me to sit down before he sat down too. Since when have we been doing this? You know what? I don't care. I like it.

"Shit." I looked up at Valentina. She had a cell phone in her hand and was looking at something.

"Watch your tongue." He warned her as if she were a little kid.

"I'm not a little kid anymore, Killian." She stood up from the table. "I need to take care of something." Without another word, she left the dining room, leaving Killian and I alone.

"Oh, I almost completely forgot." I shifted my gaze to Killian. "Charles texted me."

"What? How could you forget that?" He frowned.

"Finn is leaving and your sister came to visit. There wasn't enough time."

"That's a really bad excuse, Lyssa."

"All right." I rolled my eyes. "Charles texted me that in almost two weeks we will have a chance. It's like a formal event where the management will try to get investors and..."

"And you want to go there." He cut me off. "Is it safe?"

"When it comes to white snakes, nothing is safe."

"That calmed me down." He snorted.

"I'll tell you about it later, I just didn't want you to think I was hiding something from you."

"It still hasn't calmed me down."

"It's fine. I'll manage, like always." I winked at him. "Now let's eat because I'm starving."

"What could be the cause of that?" He laughed.

"You know very well what." I poked him in the ribs with my finger. Idiot.

*****

Nine days.

Nine days since Finn left and eight since Valentina did as well.

It was probably the hardest for Killian. He tried to pretend he was fine, but he couldn't fool me.

Fortunately, there was Lucy, who always lifted his spirit.

I can't believe these last days were real. It was so peaceful.

Of course, we came up with a plan for the Blood Ball, I can brag about that. We thought out everything down to the last detail.