Chapter 23: Visit

"Leave us alone

"Leave us alone." I heard a rough voice from the door. I didn't even have to look to know who it belonged to.

The doctor who was treating my facial wounds put everything aside and left the room.

I didn't dare look up from the ground, even though I heard him coming towards me.

A pair of shoes appeared where I had been looking so I closed my eyes. Before long, I felt his hand on my chin, which he slowly lifted. I cautiously opened my eyes and looked straight into his face while he examined my injuries.

"You were the main thing that we were talking about at today's meeting." Charles spoke. "You want to know what they were saying?" He asked but didn't wait for my answer. "That you're weak. That you don't belong here. Some even laughed when I told them you deserved to be here." He snorted. "They said I'm a fool for thinking such a thing. Do you think I'm a fool?"

"No."

"Then why did you let someone beat you up? You're smart enough to know that showing weakness here can get you killed. You did it for a reason. Tell me that reason, Eris." He said with a calm voice.

"It was a test." As soon as I said that, a smile appeared on his face.

"Why do you think that?"

"As I was heading to training, Tyche, the girl that beat me up, was talking to Madame Ada in the hallway. They both fell silent when I passed them. Tyche came to training first, and after a few minutes, Madame Ada. Tyche started a fight from nothing, and Madame Ada just watched. They wanted to know if I would break the rules and let my emotions take over." With every word that came out of my mouth, I was more certain that I was right. Charles looked at me with admiration.

"Anything else." He laughed.

"Did I pass?"

"You're first this time." He raised his head proudly. "And I'll bet the youngest that ever passed, too. There's nothing weak about you." He slowly removed his hand from my face and brought them together behind his back. "You've only been here a year and management knows your name. That's not common. Keep it up and you'll go far."

A smile appeared on my face at his words. I didn't care that my whole face and body hurt. I passed the test and Charles is proud of me. That's all I could have wished for.

*

I was trying to fall back asleep when I was interrupted by the doorbell. It took me twenty minutes to get out of the bathroom when I needed to go to the toilet. I'd rather not even mention how long I walked there.

Whoever it is, they're out of luck. I'm not going to get up. Not a chance.

Closing my eyes and thinking that whoever it was was gone, I heard the key and the door opening.