Chapter 16: Five senses

"Where are we going?" I asked as we headed downtown

"1Oak."

"Why?" I looked at her.

"Are you questioning me?" She said without looking at me.

"I was just asking. Don't make it science."

"I'm not allowed questions, but you are? As if."

"You know what? Fine. You answer my questions and I'll answer yours. How about that?

She looked at me for a second to make sure I was serious. "Sounds too good to be true."

"It's up to you." I shrugged.

Although I would prefer to sit in silence, this would be fine. If she answers the questions I have, I will have more information about her, which will definitely help me crack her open.

"Fine." She exhaled. "We're going to 1Oak because as we both know, that's where your people hang out. The waitresses and bartenders must have heard something."

"And you're sure it will help us?" I'm not in the mood to waste time here.

"Yeah. Now me. Who was that guy in that photo? I noticed Finn, Theo, and that other brother I met. Who was the fourth one?"

"Why are you asking?" I frowned.

"I thought it was my turn to ask questions."

"Kai." I answered her. "My brother."

"Another brother?" She gave me a surprised look. "Any other siblings I should know about?"

Other siblings? Yes, Val.

Any other siblings she should know about? No.

"No. Why did you want to know who he was?" Because of my curiosity, I wasted the question.

"Just cuz." She shrugged. "No particular reason. I bet people tell you everywhere how much you look alike."

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that she smiled softly. Why? Why was she smiling?

"It's a daily routine."

"It's sweet."

"Do you have any siblings?" I blurted out.

"I think it's my turn." She gripped the steering wheel firmly in her hands.

I found her reaction slightly odd.

"Ask."

"How did you know I was in the white snakes?"

"From a friend." I simply answered. I don't have to tell her everything in detail. She got her answer to the question. Now it's my turn. "Do you have any siblings?"

"No." She swallowed hard, which made me think she was lying to me. "What friend?"

"I won't answer your questions if you lie to me."