Chapter 18: Panic attack

"Keep your head up

"Keep your head up. You have to focus on your target." Ada's voice echoed throughout the room.

There was me and ten other girls. Some were younger, some older. I don't know any of them.

We each stood upright a few meters apart while Ada walked around the room shouting orders.

Charles promised me he would be here, but he still hasn't shown up.

"Aim!" She screamed and we all pulled our guns from our belts at the same time and pointed them directly in front of us.

It was an easy move on the eye, but not really. The gun was way too heavy, and I wasn't the only one who had a problem with that.

A girl, a little older than me, stood a few meters in front of me. Her hand was slowly falling to the ground, but she tried to keep it in the air.

As Ada passed each of us, she stopped by her side. With a stick that had a sharp end, she damaged the skin on her hand with a quick movement.

The girl hissed in pain but said nothing.

"Just so you all understand, this is a basic gun. One of the lighter ones actually. Get used to it." She spat at the girl and continued her walk.

She slowly made her way to me. My hands were already burning, but I held the gun directly in front of me as well as my gaze.

Ada stopped next to me and I felt her looking down on me. I could imagine her black hair in a high bun. Her dark eyes that dug into the soul.

"Aim at me." I hesitated, and that was a mistake. With a quick movement, she scratched me across the cheek. "I told you to aim at me. That was an order." She said in a rough voice and this time I obeyed her.

I turned to the right, my gun pointed in front of me. But she caught it with one movement before I could aim and twisted my arm. I dropped the gun and she caught it before it hit the ground.

With the stick she had in her hand, she kicked my legs and I fell flat on my ass.

"Pathetic." She snorted. "Dismissed!" She yelled at everyone and they lowered their weapons to the body.

Everyone left slowly while I sat on the ground with my hand on my bloody cheek.

"I said something, didn't you hear?" I didn't look up at her. I only noticed the shadow that covered me. "Are you going to cry?"

"No." I clenched my jaw.

The blade appeared under my chin as she raised it and I finally looked at her. "No, what?" She raised an eyebrow.

"No ma'am."

"Forgive that tone if you don't want to come off bad, kid." She said between her teeth. "You won't last a month here." She snorted. "And if by some miracle you do, I'll make sure it's the last one."