¹

"What will you be doing this summer, Violet?" Mrs. Kempbell, asked the daughter of the woman, she usually spends her saturdays nights at. Violet opened her mouth to answer the question, but just like every time, her mother spoke before her, answering the dark skinned woman's question.

"Violet thinks about going to her dad's this summer, spend her whole summer with her stuck up hotel owning father." Vi looked at her mom and then at the ground. She knew that her father was far away from a stuck up, but not even a thought went through her head to protest her mother claims.

"Well that sounds nice." The woman said and they continued their conversation about divorce.

Violet felt belittled again. She was so used to the feeling and just pushed it aside once again. Bottling it up.

She stood up from the chair next to her mom and walked up to her room, the same old feeling of doing the exact same thing every day, hurt her.

4:30 pm: go to her room grab her book and headphones, get dressed.

4:45pm: walk through the door of the supermarket in her neighbourhood.

Violet looked at her phone and even the time was the same everyday.

4:58pm: walk in front of the surfboard shop and stare for two minutes.

She never walked in. Never. She just stood there watching at the surf boards wondering about what her life would be, if she had stayed with her dad instead of her mom.

5:30pm: sit at the bench that overlooked the sea and open her book.

Stay for forty minutes and then walk back home for dinner. God forbid if she ever missed the depressing dinners her mom always had ready for her at 6:45pm.

7:15pm: walk back into her room and lay down.

7:30pm: go take a shower.

8:00pm: turn off the lights and pretend to be asleep for when mom walks in at 8:02.

The rest of her nights were filled with overthinking and looking at the ceiling, cause her mom was a light sleeper and Violet didn't wanted any conflict, so she just stayed put in her bed. Once in a while standing up and opening up her window, to stare at the darkness and listen to the waves crashing in the distance. She smiled at herself and decided that now was the time, to go to her dad's. Not whenever her mom told her that she could go. It was now.

She grabbed her suitcase and quickly filled it up with clothes and necessities, grabbed her car keys, even though her hands were shaking at the thought of driving her car alone all the way to Outer Banks. But she knew that it was time to live, she had waisted enough of her life.

'Hi mom. Left for dad's. Took my Jeep, and decided that I've had enough of living under your rock. It's time for me to live outside of the bubble wrap, you've wrapped me in. See you when summer's over. Maybe.'

Violet snuck up downstairs, left the note on the kitchen countertop and quickly got into her car with her bag and suitcase and drove off.

"To a better life." She spoke to herself with a shaky breath and focused at the road ahead of her.