⁴⁵

Pope walked out of the police car, Shoupe barking orders. They had taken them to the headquarters they had created next to the lighthouse, and were guided do a tent. With a row of chairs. Shoupe told the to sit on them and don't move so they did.

"We got a lot to talk about."

Violet looked around and saw John B's picture on the big tv.

"Blockade is up at the marsh and Masonboro and all other inlets from Shem Creek to Breach inlet. I want eyes on all coastal access points, people. Let's catch this guy." Violet didn't understand half of what the man said but it didn't sound good. And the lightning and thunder outside also didn't.

Violet felt JJ's hand on her own and she squeezed it. Violet heard the commotion that was happening outside but they didn't knew what was happening and no one told them.

"It's the Phantom!" The people outside started shouting and JJ and Vi looked at each other, Vi looked at him wide eyed and could feel the anxiety take over once again. All she heard after that was that they were heading south and the storm was coming from the south. After about five minutes everyone started shouting that there was no response and that they had lost signal which meant nothing good. Violet felt the tears picking up in her eyes and she just turned towards Kie, who looked like she was about to cry also. The two girls held hands as Violet's legs started shaking violently. Schoupe and two more officers walked in and the four of them stood up.

Violet felt JJ's arm wrapped around her waist while she held hands with Kie.

"Did you find them?" Pope asked and Schoupe shook his head.

"No."

"So they got away." Kie said hopefull and looked around at her friends, Vi could feel the tears picking up pace, rolling down her eyes.

"We uh." Shoupe started and looked at all of them. Violet tried to stop her tears but it was overwhelming and she was scared. "We lost them. I'm sorry."

"You lost them?" Violet looked up at JJ who was shaking violently. Rage filling up his body while grieve and fear was filling up hers. "What do you mean you lost them? Like they're gone?" Pope got in his face. "What are you talking about?"

"They took an open boat through a tropical depression Pope.

"So they're dead?" Kie asked and JJ's arm fell down to his side, Vi dropped Kie's hand and put her hands on her head, shaking and her eyes filling up with tears once again, she felt like screaming, she felt like crying and kicking, she felt like she was loosing everything, she felt like there was no where to go from here. Her friends were out there, her friends died out there and the one who were supposed to look out for them were the ones that killed them the ones that drove them straight to the storm.

"You drove them straight through that storm, man!" JJ shouted with a finger in Shoupe's face. "Are you kidding me? Come here!" JJ shouted and charged at him, Violet tried to pull him away, she cried out for him. "Imma kill you!" JJ shouted as the other cop held him away from Shoupe. She was furious and sad and helpless. She pushed Schoupe hard.

"You did this! You know him enough to know that he wasn't a murderer! You know that he wasn't the only one that this is going to weight on is on you Schoupe! Tomorrow you'll go and have your press conferees and say that you are glad that a murderer is dead and you're glad that you tried everything in your damn power to save a teenager! But before you fall asleep tonight and every other night from now, it's gonna weigh on you! You can't lie to your consciousness." She said through tears to the man that had his people go berserk and drive a 16byear old boy to his death. He listened to everything Violet said and looked down, slowly and quietly retreating away.

Violet looked at him as he walked away and just turned towards JJ, she ran towards him with opened arms and tears falling down. When he was finally in her arms, she wrapped him tightly in her embrace, trying to hold as much as possible, afraid that he would fall apart if she doesn't she cried out in his chest hard. She couldn't believe that she lost two friends. Lost them forever. The group heard running and they turned around to look at the entrance hoping that it was maybe Sarah and John B, but it was their parents. Vi dropped JJ as she saw her dad. Axel had black circles under his eyes and it looked like he was crying. He stopped when he was her and she could see the tears falling down his face. Violet quickly ran to her dad burying her head in his strong chest.

"I'm so sorry dad. I'm so sorry." She said and he hugged her tight. Planting a kiss on her forehead. "They're not coming back." Violet said in a whisper as he held her close to his chest.

"I know baby. It's okay." He said and looked forward. Kiara was with her family, Pope with his, while JJ stood in the middle holding his hat. Axel looked at him and just opened up his arms, JJ looked at him with tears in his eyes and slowly walked to them. Axel felt how hard the boy hugged him and his daughter, they were so broken. He couldn't stand the feeling of helplessness that he was feeling right now and the fact that if he was only able to speak with his daughter in time, and if she trusted him enough to go to him and tell him what was happening he was going to do anything in his power to put Ward Cameron behind bars, for everything that he did. Unfortunately for Ward, he held the second place of the most powerful people in Outer Banks. While Axel was number one in two states. But there was nothing he could do now, three of the five people that were there were dead and two of them were Violet's friends.

What was supposed to be a great summer for her, had turned into a tragedy, and he was never going to forgive himself.

THE END