²⁶

TW: drugs

The next day, Violet was grounded. Her dad was mad. But all she cared about was that John B was okay and was now her neighbor. He was going to be living with Rafe and Sarah. She got the news from Kie.

Violet waved goodbye to her dad, who was once again leaving for a trip to Charleston. And she heard the commotion. She look in her neighbours yard and saw a man she has never seen before.

"I want my money bro! You think you're so smart right! Then where's my money? You want drugs I get you drugs! Now where the fuck is my money!" Violet looked wide eyed but decided that she has heard enough, and that the conversation didn't really include her, so she had no right to listen, but, Rafe was doing drugs? She closed her front door and started to get ready. She was going to meet with the gang at the Chateau. She quickly got dressed, send a text to her dad that she was going to take a nap and ran to her car.

What she didn't expected was to see Rafe. He was sat on the curb next to her car, bandaging something. She looked confused at him.

"Rafe?" She asked and he quickly jumped up, hiding his arm.

"I uh." He sniffed and looked at her. "I'm sorry. I just got into an accident with my bike and was bandaging my arm." She looked at him and then gave her hand forwards, motioning for him to give her his arm. He did. She looked at the wound. That was no motorbike accident. He was burnt. She made a face and grabbed the bandage, which was not even sticking due to the times he couldn't put it on. She opened her trunk and got out the safety kit. She pulled out a new bandage and wrapped loosely around his arms, she looked through the pills in there and pulled out a pain medication, giving him one. He drank it down with some water and looked at her. She got her stuff back in the car and closed the trunk and sat beside him.

"Thank you." She nodded.

"Who was that guy?" She asked and he looked at her. He looked scared. She was guessing that he was trying to think of something to tell her.

"Just some jackass." She looked him up and down. He looked different. He had bags under his eyes, his eyes looked glazed over. He was definitely high and it wasn't weed. Rafe ran a hand though his hair and his leg started twitching.

"Rafe." She said and put a hand on his leg and looked at him. "Are you on drugs?" He looked at her with narrowed eyes.

"Why would you say that?" He said getting agitated. She shrugged her shoulders.

"Are you?" He stood up quickly and pointed at her.

"None of your damn business, Violet. And no! I'm not." He was clearly on drugs. He got angry cause of a simple question, he was shaking weirdly, he looked in bad shape. And she was the kind of person to try to help everyone, even if she knew they were a bad person. But Rafe wasn't a bad person. The drugs make you a bad person. Someone you would've never wanted to see yourself as. That's who you become when you abuse drugs and get hooked. Nothing makes sense anymore and all you think about is drugs.

"Rafe, i'm not going to be lecturing you on drugs you know enough and probably have been lectured before. But nothing good comes out of this and you know it." Violet said and stood up. "How much money you need?" She asked and ran a hand through her hair.

He shook his head, he wasn't going to say.

"None. It's okay." He said and she sighed.

"Okay." Violet said and got a notification. She looked at her phone. It was from Kie, she was asking where she was and telling her that she was on her way. Violet send her a quick 'on my way' and put her phone back in her pocket. "I have to go. See you around?" She asked and the boy nodded. He was still looking at the ground. He couldn't look her in the eyes. And she didn't wanted him to. As much as she hated this version of Rafe that beats up kids who can't stand up for themselves, she knew that deep down, under all of the drugs he was a good person. And she grew to like the Rafe she went on a date with, but that Rafe didn't really existed. Not anymore. Probably not even back then. But it still hurt her when he looked at her. He looked so broken.

She kneeled down in front of him, the boy looked at her. She could see the tears forming. Violet ruffled his hair and gave him a little smile.

"See you around?" She asked again. He smiled back and nodded.

"See you Vi." She stood up and walked to her car, getting in, she drove out of her parking spot and honked at Rafe, who gave her a little wave.

He looked like a lost puppy.