THE BEGINNING OF A NIGHTMARE

"No, dad, I didn't know. She hasn't said anything."

"I don't really know what happened. I only know Giovanna went to argue with Kali about something, and they got into a fight. Kali hit her and forbade her from going back to yours."

"Okay, I'll talk to her. I'll handle it. I am sorry for the trouble this caused."

"It's okay. I'll call you later."

"Good night, dad."

Kali, the subject of their conversation, was in the shower. He had come home to absolute serenity after a tiring day at his work desk. The dining table had been decorated with a new tablecloth and several dishes Kali had prepared. He ate his fill. She had been considerate with the amount of spices she used.

In fact, she had joked about it when he complimented her about the food.

"Did you notice you are not choking this time?" she teased, using her fork to point at his plate. "I made sure to cook this to serve your weaker constitutions."

"Sorry, I am not used to eating magma for dinner."

As far as evenings went, everything had been superb. Kali had never mentioned that his sister came over, much less that they had a row. The call had come as a shock, but he wanted to wait for Kali to finish her bath before they spoke. What was done, was done. There was no need to bang on the bathroom door, demanding she step out and talk to him.

Thankfully, he didn't get to wait long. Moments after he ended the call with his father, Kali walked out of the bathroom, robed and moisturising her skin as she padded around in her fuzzy slippers. When she stared at him, she smiled but said nothing still.

"Can we talk?" He

"Sure. What about?"

"Why did my sister come over here?"

Kali looked over at him, her hand frozen inside the robe. Then she looked away, rubbing more lotion over her shoulders and chest.

"She overheard something days back and came to tell you about it. You weren't here, so she asked me about it."

"Then you fought?"

Kali nonchalantly sat down on the stool, crossing her legs and resting her arms on her thighs. "I should have told you the second you got back."

"Yes. You should have. Why didn't you?"

"I honestly was still too angry to talk about it. I was going to tell you before we went to bed when I was calmer."

"You seemed calm at dinner."

"Yes, because I was trying not to think about it. I know she is your sister, and you care for her, but that is not enough for me to put up with her intrigues and vulgar behaviour."

Samuel was tired to his bone. He honestly was beginning to enjoy himself. It lasted a few days, but he was. They lived far from his home, and he never had a reason to visit the house or office, which made it easier to avoid his mother. He called his dad and older siblings often, to keep them informed so they wouldn't worry, but he generally kept away from the house. The isolation gave him peace and allowed him to think clearly.

"Why did you hit her?"

"I lost control. She said something, and I reacted without thinking." She looked down at her hand, spreading her fingers open and staring at them like foreign materials attached to her wrist. "I would have apologised, but I was too angry to do it."

"Kali, I told you, your anger will be disastrous. Didn't I."

"It had nothing to do with your mother or how I feel about anything to do with your family. Honestly. It had everything to do with Giovanna and only Giovanna. She is a capricious, spoiled, ignorant, rude little girl, and I don't have enough patience in me to become her punching bag too. I may put up with your mother, but that's because I have to. If not, I would put her in her place as well."