THE FEIGNING OF MISERY

"And this." Samuel came up behind Kali as she reached for her necklace. He leaned down to kiss the back of her neck and shoulder before lowering the necklace he held to her chest. "Is for you."

It wasn't sapphires like the one the stranger sent, even though he had been tempted, but it was an equal match. The necklace was made from rubies and diamonds and matched the dress she had chosen for the night. One of the bright sides of her picking her outfits weeks before an event.

He hadn't been sure when he ordered the necklace, but seeing her face light up with amazement and joy-filled him with confidence.

Kali gasped. "What is this?"

"Last Friday, you got a necklace that upset you. I don't know; I thought I could get you one that made you smile. The event tonight was a perfect excuse to do it."

"Oh, Samuel. It's gorgeous."

"Like you."

"You cheesy bastard." She popped to her feet and threw herself at him.

Her arms went around his shoulders. She giggled, pulling him close and kissing him. Samuel grinned before raising a hand for her to see the matching earrings he still held.

"To finish the look."

"Well," she turned to give him her right ear. "What are you waiting for?"

Samuel hooped the first earring in and then did the same for her left ear before taking a step back to look at her. Kali spun around for him.

"Beautiful."

"And you are equally handsome." Her hand brushed the necklace, and her face softened. "Thank you for this. You are too thoughtful."

"I'll try not to make a habit of it."

He winked at her and offered his hand. They left the house together, arriving at the gallery early enough to meet his father before he was swarmed by other guests.

It was a rare thing that his father held exhibitions twice in a year, but he seemed to have had a great deal of inspiration and time. Samuel was proud of him, and he couldn't help but enjoy Kali's adoration of his father's work. Despite his mother's snubs, he believed her praise for his work was sincere and heartfelt.

His father was equally pleased. They spoke at length about his art while his mother glared at the necklace she wore. Samuel's unease grew until guests began to flock to his father, giving them a chance to escape before his mother exploded.

"I thought she was about to break the necklace off you." He chuckled as they walked away.

"I would have snapped off each one of her fingers." Kali patted the necklace with ardour. "My husband got me this. No one is going to ruin it."

"I am blushing."

"You will be when I plaster your pretty face with kisses." She teased, squeezing his arm. "Oh. I forgot to make a call. June wanted to come, and she said she'd be late. I need to check on her."

"Go on then."

Kali rushed off to find a quiet spot while Samuel stood by one of the tables, glancing from one guest to another. Peter joined him at the table a few minutes later. Accompanied by Ember and another woman Samuel had never met before.

"Good evening." Samuel greeted his siblings. "You look dashing."

"Thank you, bro. That suit looks good on you. Is that also the work of your wife, or is her good taste just rubbing off on you?"

"This is me."

"Her good taste then." Peter ribbed.

"You with your jokes." He glanced at the woman who watched them with interest and smiled. "Are you going to introduce us?"