BURROWING A HEART FOREVER

"She finally rolls in."

Kali closed the door, throwing her purse on the couch and kicking off her heels with a moan. She looked exhausted, which was nothing new on days when she came home late. Samuel helped her out of her jacket and neatly set her shoes aside. He knelt down and tucked her hair behind her face.

"Bad day?"

"Parts of it." Her hands framed his face, and she kissed him deeply. "It's getting better."

Samuel smiled. "Want to talk about it?"

"Yeah." She didn't sound excited by the prospect of it. That made him nervous. "Can I get something to eat first?"

"Sure. You are in luck. I decided to cook this evening."

"Did you?"

"Yeah." He grinned and helped her stand. "You can tell me what happened over a hot plate and cool glass of juice."

"Can I also make requests?"

"Sure."

"I might need a massage." She rolled her shoulders and groaned. "I am so wound up; a single pull will break me apart."

"Of course."

"Where's Giovanna?"

"Her room. She ate early and tucked herself away."

It's only been her third night with them, but she was faithful to her routine. She ate dinner at the same time every night, usually in silence unless he asked the questions or started the conversation. Then she would spend some time in the living room, except if they were there, in which case she'd disappear into her room. Samuel wasn't bothered. His job was to make sure she was at school on time and wasn't behind with her assignments or studies.

"Don't you think you should be taking advantage of this...situation to better your relationship? You know, talk. Finally, address your differences?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Cause Giovanna doesn't want to. I am not going to force her. If she wants to see a difference, it's her eyes that need opening."

"Sometimes it's not the offensive that should take the step."

"The defensive has done his best."

Kali rolled her eyes. Samuel knew he couldn't make her understand his point of view, but he had tried for years to bring Giovanna out of her disdain for him. Allowing her live in his house didn't suddenly make her jealousy and misplaced anger disappear. She was with them because she asked, not because he wanted to gain points. All his efforts in the past never counted for anything anyway.

"Oh," Kali leaned closer to the Instant pot, fanning the steam towards her face. "You made chicken and rice?"

"Yep. Put a lot of extra spice in there, just for you."

"You are a king."

"Indeed I am. Sit. I'll fix your plate."

She sat by the counter, tying her hair into a bun while he dished out some food. He poured a glass of juice for her and set them both on the counter.

"Thanks."

"Don't mention it."

She wolfed down a few forks before suddenly saying, "I saw Richard today."

He raised a brow. "Where?"

"A café close to where I work."

"Did he follow you there?"