A NEW LINE OF ATTACK

"Are you ready?"

"Just a minute." Kali strutted to the mirror, turning her head to get a clear view of her ear while she struggled to fit the earring pin through. "I don't know why it's giving me problems today. I am seriously thinking of investing in magnetic earrings."

"Here, let me."

He brushed her fingers away and pulled her closer. He looped the first earring and helped her with the second. She thanked him, then adjusted her hair before grabbing her purse.

This was the third dinner she had been to in two weeks, and there were more planned down the line. Thanks to Ember, her master, Kali thought with a smile, she knew how to prepare ahead. All her outfits were sent to the cleaners, stashed in bags and hung in the wardrobe. Then she picked out what shoes she needed and all the jewellery she planned to put on and set them aside. So, she was never stuck on what to wear or what went with what.

"Where did I put the gift?"

"On the table."

"Ah." She rushed to the desk to pick up the delicately wrapped gift box, holding it at her side. "Okay. Let's go. I think we are all set."

"After you."

She headed out; ahead of him. Samuel wished the dinner wouldn't be too long. He had an idea of who would be there, and he didn't like the thought of her watching him for hours on end. Christen had not been present at the wedding, even though Daniel was invited. Samuel vehemently hoped that she would forfeit being at the dinner, especially since Kali was planning to bring on her 'good wife' routine. He had contemplated informing Kali that a friend of Flora's could be present at the dinner but didn't see how that helped any of their situations.

They arrived early enough to meet Samuel's parents just before they knocked on the door. His father greeted Kali warmly, while his mother only gave an acknowledging nod. Unphased, Kali stayed close to Samuel as he slammed the brass knocker against the door. A maid received them, leading them into the mansion. Kali handed the present to her while Samuel hung his coat on the rack.

"They live well," Kali stated.

"Maybe keep the dollar signs from flashing in your eyes." Ysabel snarked before breezing by with a smile to greet an older couple already waiting in the hall.

"Don't pay attention to her." Samuel cautioned, helping Kali out of her coat. He gave her his arm, and she accepted graciously. "They are meant to live well. Daniel comes from three or four generations of doctors."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Which specialization is he?"

"Neuro."

"That's something."

"Isn't it. No one in this family practices a different vocation. I am surprised they don't own a hospital to work in as a family."

The maid led them past the hall and to the living room, where they sat to wait for their host. Samuel sat beside Kali on the seat farthest from his parents, resting his arms on the head of the couch. Kali didn't seem in the mood to start conversations either. She stuck to his side, resting against him with her arm on his thigh as she continued to take in the house.

Daniel was the first to appear, hand in hand with Christen; his parents were not too far behind. Everybody stood when they approached and began to share pleasantries, shaking hands, hugging, complimenting outfits and laughing. Christen, surprisingly, was all smiles as she shook hands with his parents. A little unsettled by her behaviour, Samuel moved on to introduce Kali officially to the O'Connors. At the wedding, Daniel met Kali personally, but his parents, and obviously Christen, were yet to meet her face to face.