THE ONES WE LIED TO PROTECT

Samuel looked down at Kali as she slept, stretched out underneath the duvet. She had slept through the night and barely flinched when he got her out of the pool and to their room. She was exhausted, and he understood why. He decided to end the façade once and for all, so while he faced his family, he wanted her to rest.

Samuel kissed her cheek softly before he left the house and headed for his parents. Luckily for him, everyone was present when he arrived. They were still slow from waking up, but they gathered around the table.

"Is something wrong?" His father spoke first, taking a generous gulp from his cup of coffee.

"Not anymore."

"What do you want to talk about then."

Samuel had not taken his eyes off his mother since she joined them. When he saw that she was slowly figuring out what he was there to do, he gave her a little smile before turning to a drowsy Giovanna.

"Gio, you were right about Kali." She buffered, staring back at him in shock. "The conversation you overheard in the hotel was exactly as you heard it, but some things got lost in translation."

"What are you saying, son? Are you and Kali having problems? What do you mean by Giovanna was right?"

"We aren't having any problems, Dad. Kali and I are very happy, but some mistakes need addressing."

"Samuel," his mother warned with a low but threatening shout. "What do you think you are doing?"

"Correcting a mistake." He told her. "Mother didn't pay off Kali's debts because she wanted to protect our image or out of the kindness of her heart. It was payment for Kali to marry me."

"What are you saying?" Petter stuttered.

Samuel didn't repeat. "Kali didn't marry me for my money. She did it to save her home, which mom threatened. She decided to save her family's livelihood just as I made the same decision to protect Flora by getting married."

"Samuel. You will regret this."

"Be quiet, Ysabel. What are you talking about? What did your mother do?"

"Mom paid off Kali's debts and used something on Flora to make me do the same. But she also, like Kali, gave me money for my business. Thinking about it, it was probably so my sacrifice wouldn't look like one since I took the money. Anyway, the only rule was that we marry, and I end things with Flora."

Peter turned his surprise on their mother. "It's not true. You didn't. You wouldn't."

"She did."

"Samuel, be quiet."

"Why didn't you come to me?" His father countered, burning with anger, and Samuel cowered. "Why did you allow your mother to do such a thing? Did you not trust me?"

"I did. I swear, I did. But I also trusted Mom. I knew she was capable of all she threatened to do."

"How dare you." His father turned to Ysabel. He stood from his seat, and his mother did, too. "Didn't I warn you to leave our son alone? Didn't I tell you to leave this boy alone? Who are you to make such a decision? What were you thinking?"

"I was right," Giovanna whispered. "I was right."

"Not in everything." Samuel corrected.

"Answer me!" His father bellowed at his mother, and Samuel bowed his head.

"I will not speak with you like this in front of the kids."

"Why not? You watched Giovanna tear that girl apart in front of us for months, insulting and offending her with your permission. When you knew well she wasn't married to our son for the reasons Giovanna thought. You sat there and encouraged our innocent daughter's bitterness. For what? What were you permitting her to do? Answer me, woman!"

His mother stared into him before turning and walking away, with his dad staring after her. Samuel didn't move. He could feel his father's anger and disappointment. Giovanna was still sitting beside him, her eyes staring into nothing as her shock morphed into disbelief. Ember was unmoved, she already knew everything, and Peter was back in his seat.

"Samuel." His father's stern voice made him look up. "Come with me."

"Yes, sir."

Ember smiled at him when they looked at each other. She encouraged him to follow with a nod before she turned to Giovanna. There was nothing more to say, so he followed in silence. They left his siblings and followed his mother to her office.

"Well, we are here." His father seethed. "Explain."

"There is no explanation. I have my reasons. I won't justify it to anyone, least of all Samuel. I told him hundreds of times that it was nothing against him. If he hadn't fallen in love with Kali, he would have gotten his life back."

"My life back? I didn't lose it, thank you very much."

"So, what's all this show for?"

"Don't make me lose my mind, Ysabel."

"I gave him freedom. I told him he could go back to her, but he didn't want to."

"Who cares what he wants to do now? Why did you make him do it in the first place? You lied and then antagonized that poor girl. You spoke lowly of her and your own son, and all this time it was you. The marriage you said was too hard to accept was your doing. You did this."

"I already said..."

"You won't justify it. I know." His father scoffed, disbelief sagging his shoulders. "I forgave you for a lot of things, so many things. That was my mistake. It made you think you have more power than me, didn't it? It gave you the idea you could keep playing with my children. didn't it?"

The phone rang, and his mother looked away, but his father caught her hand before she could reach for it.

"I am talking to you."

She snatched her hand back. "Talk to your son. He is the one who brought dramatics to our door today. All he had to was keep his mouth shut. Instead he decided he would rather ruin everything."

She picked up the phone, and his father looked at him, but neither said a word. Samuel wasn't surprised by his mother's indifference, but his father's disappointment hit him. He knew he should have spoken up. Fear kept him quiet. All he could hope for was that they could come out of it. He wanted to tell the truth, but he wasn't looking to hurt his father or his siblings.

"What are you talking about?" His mother asked with urgency. "When? Was no one with him? Alright. Alright. No, you are fine. I'll be right there."

"What happened? Where are you going?" His father asked as soon as the receiver was set down.

"My father. That was Dr. Gould. My father is dead."