THE GIRL WHO KNEW

Samuel coughed into his fist to hide his amusement as Ember watched Kali devour the plates of food he had ordered after his parents left. Kali was an emotional eater, and the reason she didn't eat when they waited for news about the surgery was because she was emotionally exhausted and in panic. With her sister in recovery and most of the tension around them eased Samuel tried to distract her from the wait by giving her something good to eat.

It had been difficult to convince her to leave the hospital, but he had. He reminded her, over and over, that sitting on the bench seats waiting for things to change wouldn't make them change faster. Thankfully there was a restaurant nearby, and since Ember didn't have much to eat, he invited her along. Now, he watched her gawk at Kali, who busied herself with her full plate of burgers, fries and a tall glass of Pepsi.

He glanced at his discombobulated sister and patted her shoulder. "Stop judging."

"I am not judging." She stammered, looking down at her own plate. "I thought you said you ate before you left home. If she is so hungry, I could have gotten her something."

Kali shook her head, swallowing the piece of burger she had been religiously savouring. "I am a stress eater. I am not exactly hungry, but the food takes my mind off things that stress me out."

"Oh, I didn't know that." She looked at him and whispered, "Since when."

"That's how she came."

"Ah. So, all those dinners at our house, you weren't stressed? I would think the awkwardness would make you go at the full plate of roasted chicken."

Kali chuckled. "Thankfully, that hasn't happened."

"Here." Samuel laughed, reaching over to wipe the smudge of ketchup on the side of her lip. "You are being messy."

"Sorry. My bad." She swallowed the remnants of her meal and heaved a sigh. "Okay. I am good. Can we go back now?"

"No." He replied sternly, sitting back and taking a luxurious drag of his smoothie. "Your sister is in recovery. You won't be able to see her if you go back. You'd make yourself worry some more."

"What am I meant to do?"

"Sit and chat with us. Ember," his sister looked at him. "Share something with us."

"Uh, like what?"

"Anything. Get creative."

"There is no need for that."

Kali was reaching for her purse, and Samuel snatched it away before she could get to it. "Sit down. Ember?"

"Right. A distraction." Ember scrunched her lips. "I got nothing."

"You are so much help."

"Sorry."

Kali chuckled but didn't try to stand up again. "You both have been helpful. I am sorry I am being a pain."

"You are not. You are simply a caring sister. As you should be." Ember complimented, picking up her phone to look at the message that came through. "And I have to go. I'll call you both later and see how things are progressing."

"Drive safely," Samuel said with his face upturned as Ember leaned down to kiss his cheek.

"I will." She reached over the table, and Kali took her hand. "Stay strong."

"Thank you. See you later."

Not long after Ember left, they received a call from the nurse he befriended, informing him that June was awake and responsive. They rushed back to the hospital, where they had to wait a while for the doctors and nurses to finish their checkup before they were allowed to see her. The nurse warned them they couldn't stay long because visiting hours were almost over.