THE ENDING, OF SORTS

Samuel looked at the restaurant as he stood against his car. It had been a month since his grandfather passed, and things in his family were still not back to normal. His father had forgiven him for his part in the lie, and he also forgave Kali because he believed they were pushed against the wall. But whatever quarrel he had with their mother was still going on. He had tried to talk himself out of tonight with the excuse of waiting for things to cool down. But, he decided against it.

He looked back when he heard another car approaching. Sure enough, Mathew was driving to park beside him with Kali in the passenger seat. She waved at him, and he winked in reply.

He called earlier to ask her to prepare.

"Hello." She greeted as she stepped out of the car. "I was surprised to get your call."

"I thought you would be." He took her hand and kissed her. "You look lovely."

"Thank you. I wore something stunning, as you asked."

"Thank you, Mathew."

"Not a problem, sir."

"Come on, let's get in."

"Why are we here."

She asked, even as she followed beside him. They had not been back since the engagement a year ago. Their anniversary was still a few weeks away, but Samuel wanted to start making some changes before then.

"We are here to eat." He replied.

"Interesting."

The last time he was at the restaurant, the rings he carried in his pocket felt like lead weights. He sat at his table, wondering how he was expected to stomach asking a stranger to marry him before she arrived. He wasn't allowed to pick Kali up from her home. He didn't want to. It was hard enough knowing he had to propose. He didn't want to sit in a car with a woman he didn't know.

"What would you like to eat?" Kali asked after picking up the menu?"

"I'll take the steak tonight."

"Oh, good choice. I'll take that, too." She winked at him. "So I don't end up eyeballing your food if it's better."

"Steak it is."

"I haven't been here since last time." Kali pondered aloud after the waiter left.

"Me neither."

"An odd choice for us to have dinner here, isn't it? What brought this on?"

"It's a surprise. If I explain it, I'd ruin it."

"I'll admit. I am a little nervous."

"It's nothing to be nervous about." He pinched his cheeks as he gave her a big smile. "Everything is about joy tonight."

"Okay." She nodded.

"Have you thought about what you will do with the money you received from my grandfather?"

"Yes. I put some of it away for my sister and sent some back to my aunt. She had a decent job and all, but keeping up with the expenses of the house and managing the factory is not easy. The rest I am leaving for my cousin. It's a long route from high school to college, and I want him to be secured in that."

That surprised him. "And the debts? My mom placed them back on you."

"Yes, she did, but I don't need your grandfather's money. I saved all those months I was working. Every cheque I got went into investments because I knew she might pull something like that."

"So, it's settled?"

"Water under the bridge." She assured him. "I am actually elated I got to do that. It felt liberating. Like I got the chance to do what I should have done in the first place."

"I am glad that's behind you."

"Me too. Plus, I am working extra hard. There have been whispers about promotions in the office lately."

"You think it's yours?"

"No. I don't know, but I will make myself the most likely candidate."

"That's a lot more work then, isn't it?"

"It is." She stretched her hand to him, and he took it. "But I'll come home to your loving kisses and massages, so I'll be fine."

"I'll prepare myself." He kissed her knuckles.

"And how are things with your dad? And your siblings? We haven't been in the same room together since the funeral."

"They are fine. Giovanna reached out. She apologised."

"That's good."

"Peter is only disappointed in what Mom did, but overall, he is happy since I am happy."

"June is also reintegrating herself. When I told her the truth, she felt detached from your family. It broke my heart. I am glad she is coming back to herself and seeing that we are indeed a family."

"That we are." He took her hand and caressed the diamond of her ring. "Which brings me to why I brought you here today."

"I finally get to hear it." Kali perked.

"Yes."

"And it's good."

"To me."

"Well?"

"When I first proposed to you, I didn't want to get married. And neither did you." She nodded but said nothing. It's almost our anniversary. We have exactly one month left, and it got me thinking a lot about the first time we met."

Samuel moved his hand, grabbing her wedding ring between his thumb and index finger before slipping it off. Kali's eyes fluttered between his face and her hand. He sensed she was nervous, so he kept smiling to make sure she remained calm.

"I wasn't involved in anything when it came to our wedding. That includes buying the rings." He pulled his off and set it down beside hers. "I thought I should change that."

Her confusion dissolved into surprise when he reached into his pocket to fish out the rings he had gotten for them. Little by little, a smile began to creep over her face until it reached her eyes. He opened the box and looked at the rings he had picked. The platinum bands were encrusted with tiny diamonds that sparkled under the bright lights. Her engagement ring was simple, with one diamond sitting on a gold band.

"Samuel."

"I want you to know that these rings come from my heart. I want this to be our fresh start. No more thinking of what brought us together, but celebrating that we are together. We have nothing to look forward to but our future."

She gave him her hand eagerly when he asked for it. Samuel slipped the rings on. Her wedding ring first before the engagement ring he bought to go with it.

"I love you." She sat up, and he laughed, meeting her halfway so she didn't lean too far over the table. "I love you so much."

"I love you too." He handed the box that still contained his ring over to her. "Will you do me the honours?"

"You don't even have to ask." She giggled and picked his ring out. "Here's to our future, Samuel Madden."

"Here's to our future."

He held her hand before standing, pulling her to him. He slipped his arm around her waist, and she did the same. She looked at him with awe and love, and it melted his heart. He didn't care if the people below could see him. He was only focused on them.

"You are one of the best things to happen to me, Samuel."

"Don't make me blush. I was a pain, and you know it."

She chortled. "Only sometimes."

"Well, you better prepare. Forever is a long time to put up with me."

She inched closer to touch her forehead to his and said with tears in her eyes, "You have no idea how prepared I am."