HOME SWEET HOME

"Do I have to go to your place?"

"I will try not to be offended by the implications of that statement." Kali huffed, playfully tugging on June's hair. "You will be staying until you recover fully."

"My hand isn't that bad. I can handle myself. I don't want to intrude."

"If Samuel and I were newlywed and, on our honeymoon, I'll understand, but we are not. The house is gigantic. If it's me you are worried about, there are millions of ways to avoid me."

Kali remembered what Samuel said about June wanting him to take her home because she couldn't bear the thought of Kali worrying about her all night. Kali took the words to heart. It was a shock to learn that June thought she was a burden. Kali knew she took things too far at times, to the point that she could be overbearing, but it didn't occur to her that June would see herself as the problem.

Kali was determined to be more hands-off with her sister than she originally planned. June was here to start her own life, and she needed to learn to allow her sister to have some space; only stepping in when she needed to. But first, June needed to recover from her injuries.

"Samuel is okay with this?"

"Yes. Of course, he is. He wouldn't have things any other way."

"Then I wouldn't be too stubborn."

"Good," Kali smirked, collecting June's hair in her hand as she continued to comb it carefully. "That doesn't mean you'll push yourself when I am not around. Don't bother trying to clean the house or cook for us. If you fill you need to contribute in any way, limit your work to your things."

"I didn't plan on doing any of those things."

"Mhm." Kali rolled her eyes sceptically.

There was a knock at the door before the door slid open, and her brother-in-law peeked in. "Peter?"

"Good evening, ladies."

"Hey. What are you doing here?"

"Samuel got holed up at work. He asked me to drive you and June home today since he got held back at the office."

"He shouldn't have bothered you." Kali kissed her teeth. "I am sure you also have things to do. I have everything more or less handled."

"I don't have plans, so I don't mind, and you don't need to feel guilty."

Her shrill ringtone interrupted her before she could argue her point. She scrambled for her purse and checked the ID; her heart skipped as she noted the caller. It was from K. Tech. Everything had been so hectic that for the past three days, she didn't think about the job at all. But there it was, in her hand, the name looking back at her.

Nervous, she spun around to see Peter at June's side, helping her put her sling on. "I, uh, I have a call. It's important. I need to step out, but when I get back we will continue this conversation.

"Go, Kali." June smiled, wiggling her fingers through the slit of the sling and earning a laugh from Peter.

"I'll take care of her, and when you finish with your call, I'll take you both back to your place."

Kali grumbled, stomping out of the room, knowing if she didn't the argument would go on for too long. She found a quiet place to answer the call and answered it.

"Hello, good evening."

"Good evening, this is Mrs Naveen. Am I speaking to Kali Madden?"

"Yes."

"I would like to inform you that after careful deliberation, our office has decided to hire you to work for us."

Kali bit her lip, culling the shout of joy that bubbled within her. She tampered the flames, swallowing and trying to sound professional as the woman continued to speak. Afterwards, she asked about the details of her contract. Naveen promptly informed her that a softcopy of her contract had been sent to her email. She encouraged Kali to go through carefully before getting back to them.