THE DISCOVERY

Samuel nervously nibbled on the pencil in his mouth as he sat at his desk. Two weeks had passed with no word from Ember on how her search was going. She asked them to trust her, saying she'd call when she found something.

Kali was on the balcony, watching the warm evening sky while he worked to keep himself busy. He had seen little of his family throughout this time. He visited the house once when he was sure his mother was out and scarcely talked to his dad on the phone.

The curtains swooshed, and Kali came to him. She languidly slid her arm up his elbow and across his chest. He covered her hand with his, leaning back on the seat as she stood behind him.

"Still working?" She asked.

"Barely."

She massaged his shoulder, and he craned his neck to look at her face. He watched her fingers hover over his eyes before she pinched his nose shut. He started to sing, sounding like a strangled duck, which amused her. She chuckled and leaned over to kiss him.

His phone rang and he apologised. "It's Ember."

"You better answer it then."

"Hello?"

"Samuel, are you home?"

"Yes."

"Good. I found what I was looking for. I'd be there in an hour. Wait for me."

"Of course." He nodded enthusiastically.

"What did she say?" Kali asked.

He set his phone down and smiled at her. "She says she found it."

"She found it, or she thinks what she found is it?"

"She says she found what she was looking for. I assume she meant the latter. Like I said, Ember knows my mother best. If she called to tell us after all this time, she must be sure what she found is the real thing."

Kali combed her hair back, perching herself on the desk and crossing her legs.

"What do you think you think it is?"

"I don't want to guess. Not when the answer is already on its way."

"I have been guessing all this time, wondering, assessing. My mind wouldn't let it go."

"It wouldn't have to hold on long." He dragged himself closer and rested a hand on her knee, massaging it mindlessly. "Ember won't be wrong about this."

"That's what I hope."

"As soon as we find out, we'll move on. We'll get protection for Flora and her dad, somehow, and we will tell the truth to the rest of the family."

"Your mother wouldn't be too happy."

"Since when did you care."

"Guess I don't. I hate that I feel like I am constantly apologising for everything these days. I wish I could only say we were forced to marry, but I always have to add the bit about Richard. It makes me embarrassed."

"If anyone should be embarrassed about anything, it should be me. You knew nothing. Even more, my mother knew everything, but we both know she isn't phased by her plan. If you don't feel like telling anyone about that, you don't have to."

"Yes. I do. Because your mother can casually throw it around. That would be even more embarrassing."

"She won't." Samuel stood. He stroked her cheek. "My mother wouldn't say it to anyone else."

"Yet, you told Ember."

"My mom will tell Ember. She is capable of that, but no one else. Especially not Giovanna or my dad. She knows how to play her hand and who to play her hand with. My dad is on his last straws with her, and she still needs to maintain a certain image of herself in Giovanna's eyes."