EACH CRACK HOLDS A STORY

Samuel walked into the room, rolling up the sleeves of his jacket and adjusting his lapels. This morning, however, while he went through his morning routine of preparing for a day at work, Kali joined him to prepare for her interview. She had woken up early, and after her obligatory moment alone by the bedroom window, she went around getting ready instead of going back to bed.

She dressed plain white-sleeved shirt tucked into a fitting Persian pink skirt and matching block heels. She sat in front of the dressing mirror, braiding her hair and setting it with one of her hairsprays.

Since she got the call the afternoon before, she had been excited to go for the interview. She wanted everything to be perfect, down to her look. She wanted to exude professionalism. So, finding himself entertained by her skittishness, Samuel leaned against the door frame of their walk-in closet, observing her as she added the finishing touches to her makeup.

"You are being weird."

"Me? I am worried you won't make it to this interview with all the time you are using to check off boxes in your long list of preparations."

"Have you ever been to an interview before?"

"No."

"Exactly." She pinned on her earrings and stood, turning theatrically to show off her outfit. "Neither have I. Been freelancing since I came here. This is my first official interview. I don't know much, but I have been learning since I started job hunting. I know it might require more than all my talent and skill. Sometimes a degree is not always important. They may want other things too."

"Like?"

"Maybe they want to know that I have some leadership skills, good with communication. Other useful talents outside of web development. They may look at things like appearance," A quick sweep of her hands over her body drew Samuel's eyes to the outfit again. "Maybe they look at my composure and how I handle the interview. I need to check those boxes so in case they say no, I'll know there is a little fault I had in that."

"You'd do great."

"How do you know? Did the CEO call to tell you it was a done deal?"

"I am not on speaking terms with "the CEO". He is just the son of my mom's friend. She doesn't mix with the rest of the family too much." He tugged on the collar of her shirt, laughing when she rolled her eyes and readjusted it. "Stop fussing. You'd do great. If you go in there with half a confidence and a mountain of doubt, you'd do more harm than good."

"I don't have a mountain of doubt."

"Yes, you do. It's why you are checking and rechecking everything. I haven't been to any interviews, but I know confidence is the best."

She looked down at herself with a satisfactory nod. "I believe you are right." She took in a breath and then let it out. "I am ready. I have an hour and a half to get there, so I have time to settle."

"Leaving now, then?"

"Yes. I don't want to be late. Sends the wrong message." She snatched her purse from the bed and stopped by the dressing mirror to check herself over again. "I'll see you later and tell you how it went."

"Good things and good things only."

"Ah. From your lips to God's ears." She mused, walking back to kiss his cheek before she left the room. He heard her car start up and watched from the balcony as she drove out.

When he returned downstairs, he wasn't surprised to find every trace of the previous day wiped clean. At some point after waking up, Kali must have gone downstairs to clean up the mess they made from eating takeout last night. The pillows were back on the sofa, and the coffee table had been dragged back to its original position.