SETTING THINGS STRAIGHT

"June and Giovanna are hanging out again?"

"Yes. Giovanna was interested in the college, and now they are best buddies." Samuel pursed his lips, and she chuckled. "I am joking about the best buddies part. They are only together today because June is at the house. She called to tell me she'd drop by."

"I am glad all the same. She is trying to change her attitude and be more accepting of you and your family."

"No. No. She made it clear that with June, she was genuinely interested in learning more about her life at the university. June has nothing to do with the pact she made with Steven."

"Oh, come on. Do you think Giovanna would have sat down long enough to learn about that without that condition?"

"You are right." He rubbed her arm thoughtfully. "When do you have to get back?"

"I have thirty minutes. I don't really have much to do in the office today."

"And you are still enjoying it?"

"Oh yeah." She nodded. "I am also growing very fond of Winston. He keeps me company every now and then when I eat out. It's strange, and it's got me thinking a lot."

"What?"

"The first time he caught me eating out, I confessed to him that I was trying to avoid hearing the gossip being spread about me. He was very kind and mentioned that with his past, he didn't judge others."

"Hmm." She hunched, trying to meet his eyes when he looked away. "What?"

"What did he do?"

"Couldn't you find out from your phone?"

"Maybe, but I can't bring myself to do it."

Samuel hung his head, unsurprised. If a meteor dropped in the city, she wouldn't know unless she saw it herself. She only watched movies and TV shows on the television. She didn't read magazines or newspapers, physically or online. It didn't surprise him that she knew nothing of the man she worked with outside of his business.

"He had a reputation in the past. Getting involved with...married women."

"Plural."

"Yeah. A few were married to well-off families, so it became an issue. No pun intended."

"Oh."

"He isn't so bad. I don't think so. I have met him a handful of times. He seems genuine and has been changing for the better."

"He does to me, too." She murmured, caressing his chin while he Kissed her forehead. "Another funny thing. Your mother was talking about me to him."

That made him start. "What?"

"When I told him about not knowing his past, he mentioned your mother told him I wasn't up with current affairs. She said I didn't marry you for money because I didn't know about your family's wealth. You know, since I don't read gossip articles and magazines."

"She said that."

"Yes. It's weird. Isn't it?"

It was interesting.

A knock came at the door, and he sighed. "The boys must be back."

Kali shrugged. "I should be heading back to the office anyway. Don't worry, I won't mention the extras left."

Samuel laughed. He drew her closer and kissed her. But the knock came again, and they pulled away. His friends usually knocked to tell him they were in from their lunch break, so he hadn't thought much about it. It seemed they actually wanted to talk. They must have realised from seeing her car that Kali was still with him.