Epilogue

The clock ticked impatiently as Carissa straightened her shirt. Ever since she got hired as the school councilor of Beacon hills high, she'd been both looking forward and dreading seeing Liz. She was different. Very closed. In the few months that they'd been seeing each other, Liz had barely said anything other than what Carissa already knew from Liz's files.

Carissa's mind wandered a bit, thinking about how she would approach Liz today. She'd tried many different things already. She'd tried to tell her some things about herself so that Liz wouldn't be sitting across from a stranger. She'd tried to get her to talk about her father and her childhood. She'd tried to talk to her about practically anything but all of her attempts had been in vain.

Carissa nodded her head thoughtfully as she decided on her new approach. When she'd approached Liz's friends a few weeks ago, they'd all told her how happy her boyfriend made her.

Three soft knocks echoed through the room. Carissa stood up, straightened her shirt again, and opened the door with a polite smile. Liz didn't like her smile. It was dishonest. If Liz had a choice, she wouldn't even be here. She already had to cancel her shift in the shop she worked at just to go to this mandatory meeting. Liz didn't see the point. She. Was. Fine.

The door clicked back into place as Carissa took place in her seat and grabbed her notebook and pen. Liz dropped her bag next to the chair and plopped down, remaining on the edge of her seat.

As per usual, Carissa wrote down her first observations; uncooperative, jumpy.

"So,"Carissa started, "How have you been?"

"Fine." Liz answered as she began to bounce her leg up and down.

Carissa hummed a response and took a good look at Liz. Her eyes occasionally shot around the room, as if she was panicked that something might be there. Maybe looking for ways to escape. Her shape had gotten better than what she looked like when she first came in, but Carissa suspected that Liz must be still underweight. She'd been doing so well. Steadily gaining weight. Something must've happened. Liz yawned and looked back down at her hands.

"For today I'd like us to talk about more recent events."Carissa began causing Liz's eyes to shoot up. "Not about Isaac."Carissa reassured when she saw the teen's worry.

"How are things with your friends?"

Liz averted her eyes and sighed silently. She disliked the dishonesty she felt in this room. As if Carissa actually cared what she'd tell her. Sure, she cared to some extend. But Liz always got the nagging feeling that Carissa only cared to solve the mystery that she was. "Fine." she answered and looked up.

Carissa kept silent waiting to see if Liz continued. Once again, Liz sighed and shook her head. "Stiles and I talked. About random stuff mostly."

Carissa happily nodded and started writing her notes. Something that Liz also hated about this place. It felt like making a test but never get to hear if you answered correctly.

"And what about Allison and Lydia? Do you still talk to them."

Liz's eyes shot back down to her fidgeting fingers "Not so much."

After the mission Allison had started to distance herself from the group. Liz didn't blame her. She understood that she didn't wanted to see us seeing as she was the one that got her dad killed. Not one day passed where she didn't hear Mr Argent's words echo in her head: It's on you if anything happens.

Allison wanted nothing to do with Liz, and Liz listened.

Carissa nodded and stared at Liz for the third time in this small period of time. The large bags underneath the teen's eyes were bugging her. "Have you had any trouble sleeping lately?"

Liz shook her head. Carissa might be paid to do this, but she didn't needed to know about how Isaac's last moments were all she could see when she closed her eyes.Carissa didn't needed to know everything. The sooner Liz could get out of this deal with Carissa, the better.

The councilor straightened her shirt again and decided to switch to her new subject. "So how have things been between you and your boyfriend?"

Liz's eyes widened, something Carissa noticed and began to write down until Liz spoke up. "We broke up." Carissa's pen hovered above the page, unsure of what to write.

"I'm sorry to hear that." Carissa said carefully as she placed the pen and her notebook down. "What happened?"

Liz's eyes drifted downwards. Her expression becoming slightly more vacant as she spoke. "I guess..." she said softly "In the long run, we wanted different things."

Memories of Derek's smile flashed in front Liz's eyes, ending with his fake one when she left the loft with all of her things.

An image of Stiles appeared in front of Carissa. A memory of earlier this week. She'd quickly found out that he was her closest friend out of all of them so she'd made an appointment with him to find out some more about Liz. She recalled asking him about Liz's living arrangements and ow he'd answered saying that she lived with her boyfriend. Carissa could only imagine the awkward tension or stress it would give to live with your ex after the break up. Would she still be living with him? Or did she go back to Stiles?

Carissa couldn't help herself and blurted out the question. Liz shuffled uncomfortably in the chair and answered: "Well... not exactly."

Carissa's eyes grew wider in anticipation. Finally after weeks of talking to her, she had the feeling that she was getting through to the stubborn teen and got her to open up.

Her heart dropped when she heard what Liz had to tell her. "I live in a motel just outside town now."

Carissa sat there, stunned for just a moment. Seeing the teen look down at her hands again, a thought sparked her train of thoughts. That's why Liz looked so tired! Carissa thought. She must've been working late every night to be able to sustain herself. And the breakup, it can't have happened any later than somewhere this week. Such a big negative event so soon after the loss of a dear friend. Not only this, but the death of her last parent as well!

Carissa's mind raced through all the possibilities. She'd already suspected Liz from showing signs of depression but this was a total new risk factor to consider in her calculations.

After nearly a minute of a heavy silence, Carissa came to a conclusion. No matter what scenario she thought of, the girl needed help.

Before Carissa could speak up, Liz's phone buzzed. She quickly grasped it out of the pocket of her vest and read it. Her face dropped slightly and she stood up.

"I gotta go. They need an extra hand in the shop." she said while quickly texting a reply.

"Liz, please." Carissa spoke quickly "I promise we're nearly done."

"I really need to go." she muttered after a yawn and swung her backpack over her shoulder.

"I will get you help!" Carissa called out, causing Liz to pause with her hand hovering above the door handle.

"I don't need help. I'll be fine."