Ch53 - Sniffing 101

Isaac told Derek where he was and we took off. Allison and Lydia took off in a different direction while I followed Derek and Peter.

"Shouldn't someone notify Oliver?" I asked.

"He was with Isaac when they saw it."

"So what's our plan of attack?"

"We need to see it." Peter stated.

"Your plan is to run after the thing that made its only goal to murder werewolves... To look at it?" I said sarcastically.

"Yeah. No offense to your identifying skills, but as far as we know, Lorems are dead." Peter said mockingly.

"So when you see that it actually is a Lorem thing, then what?" I said ignoring the fact that he keeps underestimating me.

"First seeing, then we'll talk again."

Great plan. I thought sarcastically.

We reached the edge of the forest. It was already getting a bit later and I knew that we would only have around an hour worth of sunlight. Both Peter and Derek looked like they knew where they were heading so I followed them. Peter kept a steady pace but Derek slowed down until he was walking next to me.

"So why did the others ask me about your scars?" he whispered.

Ah... I probably should've told him about that.

"What did you answer?"

"I told them to ask you since it's your story."

I grinned slightly "That's why I said it."

Derek looked confused so I explained. "They saw my scars and began to question me about it. But I didn't wanted to tell them since they would probably treat me as some sort of dying puppy after it, so I told them to ask you."

"Why?" he said still confused.

"Because, I trust that you'll only tell them if you think that they need to know."

Derek thought about it for a second and a small smile formed on his lips. "So, you're saying that you trust me?"

"What? No! ... Maybe... Shut up." I said as I felt my ears heat up.

I never blushed. It has something to do with the veins in your face. Mine were deeper than most people which made it impossible for me to blush.

"We'll shift here. Follow the scent." Peter said and immediately took off.

I looked at Derek. I wasn't good at the whole shifting thing yet. He noticed it and stepped a bit closer to me. Out of habit, I stepped back. Derek quickly grabbed my hand and pulled me towards him. I became nervous as I realized how close we were.

"You're not shifting." he said quietly and confused.

I blinked once and focused. I thought about the dream I had recently and my dad. All of the things combined were enough to get me to breath heavily. I took some steps back to get air but Derek pulled me in his chest. That was enough to get me to shift.

Derek released me and we followed the scent. I must admit that I had a hard time identifying the scent at first. It got mixed up with a lot of other scents. The trees, some wild animals, Derek's scent... All of it was confusing and throwing me off. But after nearly 5 minutes of tracking and a little help from Derek I'd found the scent and was able to follow it. 

We reached a point where the scent became vague. Peter was already standing there and looked around.

"There are four ways he could've gone." Peter stated.

"We'll split up." I answered. That would be logical right? The others gave me a skeptical look. "Hey, that way the chances of us actually finding it will increase."

"What do we do when we find it?" Derek questioned.

"Howl."