Ch70 - Final realization

Derek stepped in from behind us. What was Derek doing here? He looked a bit concerned in general, but then again I was never good at reading people's emotions. 

"I can drive her home." he suggested.

Mr Stilinski looked at me and at Derek. He looked a bit uneasy at the choice until Derek added "It either that or she'll have to go to the station." I frowned at the idea of having to wait at the station until Mr Stilinski was ready to go home. In the end, my expression was enough for Mr Stilinski to go along with Derek's plan.

He nodded and left me with him.

"You okay?" Derek asked as I followed him to his car.

"Yeah, I didn't even see the killer."

Derek looked relieved and loosened up a bit. I couldn't help but comment on it. "Where you really that worried?"

"Well, I smelled your scent and within a few seconds I hear screaming and the scent of blood. How could I not be worried?"

I smiled at the ground. Someone was worried about me. 

"Hey. It's not something to laugh about. You coud've been dead for all I knew." he argued.

I watched Derek from the corner of my eye. He looked deathly serious. 

"Nothing happened." I slightly pushed his shoulder "See? I'm still here."

He smiled slightly and pulled me in for a hug. "Yeah you're right." he mumbled and let go. Without looking back he got his keys and got to the drivers seat.

However, I didn't immediately follow him.

I was stunned. My heart was beating like a maniac. Why from all the places and all the memories do I have to remember it now?! I thought to myself. Why did I even read that article in the first place?! Why haven't I noticed it before?!

I'd always been a freak for scientific, biological, psychological facts. I'd once read an article about body language.

The first thing Derek touched was my waist.

With a normal friendly hug from friends or family you touch the upper body first. Like the shoulders or the back. But when romantic feelings are involved, the person touches the waist first.

Does Derek like me?!

I quickly shook the thoughts out of my head and walked to the other side of the car.

Don't think about it.

Act normal.

Derek likes me?

NO! DON'T THINK ABOUT IT.

"Are you okay?" Derek asked while he drove off. "You seem a bit... out of it."

"Uh.. Yeah. I'm fine. Just a bit tired." I quickly lied.

Too quickly. 

Even I noticed my heartbeat skip a beat. Derek pulled up one of his eyebrows. "Okay not tired... Just... A lot on my mind." I quickly recovered.

And boy was that right.