Ch107 - Observations

Isaac turned around to see who'd called us while I already knew who it was.

"It's Stiles's dad!" Isaac whispershouted at me.

"I know."

"What do we do?"

"We should run."

"What?" Isaac asked shocked "Why would we run?"

"He's a cop and we're near a murder scene!" I whispershouted back.

"We haven't done anything wrong! We were just..."

"We were just what? Randomly taking a walk?" I asked sarcastically.

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Why not?!"

"He'll never buy that!"

"Liz?" Mr Stilinski asked with pulled up eyebrows. He'd come close enough for him to actually see me but I was sure that he hadn't heard us.

"Yeah. Hi." I said with a smile as if we weren't trying to catch a murderer.

Mr Stilinski opened his mouth to say something but for a full minute nothing came out. "I heard Stiles mention that you were back. How have you been? Where are you staying? How long have you been back?"

Before he could think of more questions I quickly answered him. "I've been... fine. I've only been back since last night and I kinda fell asleep at Derek's place." Before he could think of a new conversation starter I thought of something. "Isaac and I were kind of in a hurry. Can we talk later?"

Isaac immediately caught on but had trouble hiding his first intentions. His eyes went big and he straightened his back. When he realized that Mr Stilinski wasn't allowed to know what we were gonna do, Isaac slumped back down and straightened his emotions. It was all done in seconds but it was enough for Mr Stilinski to notice.

"Really?" he asked disbelieving "Where were you two heading?"

Dammit Isaac.

"To-uh the shop."

Great lie Isaac. I can hear your heart nearly jumping outside your rib cage from nervousness. I can even smell it on you.

"The shop? Which one?" Mr Stilinski continued.

"The-uh... grocery shop?" he said uncertain. Grocery? Why would we be in a hurry if we were heading to the grocery shop?! Isaac think of better lies before you tell them! I saw that Mr Stilinski was going to comment on it and I knew that the situation was close to getting arrested for hanging around near a murder scene.

"We weren't heading to the grocery shop." I said confidently and with a jokingly smile. I could hear Isaac silently freak out so before he had a mental breakdown I continued "We were just heading to get some Mexican food."

"You don't even like Mexican." Mr Stilinski commented.

"Yeah I don't, but he does." I said pointing at Isaac "I lost the bet."

As an cue, Isaac's stomach growled. Mr Stilinski laughed and let us go. He walked back and disappeared around the corner. Isaac sighed relieved. "So are you convinced yet? It's just impossible to find anything after this much time."

"You don't know that. How did he take off?"

"Uh on foot?"

"Yeah but running, walking, speed-walking... flying?"

Isaac grinned and nudged me for being stupid "He began with jogging but he noticed that I was following him so he took off running."

"Has he seen your face?"

"I don't think so, why?"

"Dude, are you stupid? I'm asking you if the uncatchable serial killer has seen your identity."

"Oh..." Isaac said frowning. "Oh shit... I don't think so but I'm not sure."

"Great so you might be his next target. Now Imma look around." I said and stepped forwards a few steps.

Okay. First see if someone is around. Focus on your hearing. I closed my eyes and started breathing as silently as possible. When the only sound from me were my heartbeat and very silent breaths, I focused on my surroundings.

Isaac was making the most sound. He was standing within 2 meters from me so his heartbeat and breaths were pretty loud. Search further. Some rustling of the leaves from the bushes next to me but made by wind. In the distance there are a lot of cops talking. About... 7 of them including bystanders and witnesses. No one is in a proximity of 20-30 meters from us. No one as large as a human or human kid anyway. Birds not included.

I opened my eyes again with the familiar coldness around the irises. My blue eyes were better at spotting odd things.

The leaves on the bushes were dark green with random yellow ones from the trees in between them. Stop staring at the bushes. He obviously didn't take off in that direction anyway. The light grey pavement had little cracks in it. Other than some dirt nothing seemed to be weird about it. Almost as if no one had walked on it.

I turned around and looked behind me and Isaac. Mr Stilinski's and Isaac's footprints were easily spotted against the light grey pavement. Their footprints were about 3 to 5 shades darker than the pavement. Mine were also visible but I hadn't been walking as heavy as the others were. The killer would've also been light footed since he was running.

I squinted my eyes again trying to find his footprints. After searching every inch of the pavement, I found a very faint footprint. I squatted down next to it and looked at it. It was a weird print.

"What are you doing?" Isaac questioned.

"what did you say was the guys appearance?"

"What? I thought you were trying to catch his scent?"

I mentally traced the footprint again to see if I'd really seen it but the result was the same. Behind me Isaac sighed since I'd ignored his question.

"He was short. He wore dark blue jeans and a hoodie. But he was too fast to really see anything else."

"Well then I've got a plot twist for you." I said as I pushed myself up again. Isaac frowned in confusion. "The killer is a girl."