16 | Narcissists

(⚠️ Violence and a level one sexual tension. ⚠️)

(Houndin- Layto and AViVA)

《¤Rosie¤

Destiny's family lawyer contacted mine a few minutes after Dominic left me a confused mess. I was in the middle of switching loads from washer to drier when I'd gotten the phone call from James Wisniewski, my fathers attorney, a little passed 12:00pm. She wanted to settle this civilly and without getting the courts involved. They knew if our contract and deed went to court, they'd lose and have to pay the fees. As Mr. Wisniewski had said, they were trying to weasel their way out of the hole Destiny herself dug the day she signed those papers without reading them first.

I straighten the papers in front of me as I glance towards the round wall clock. We are to meet in my attorneys office at 1:00pm. Its now 12:57pm. A quick glance to Mr. Wisniewski didn't bring me any ease. He was an older man, salt and pepper hair and sharp chiseled features. He sipped on a glass of water with alka-seltzer tablets fizzing inside. His blue eyes flickered towards me over the rim of his glass and he sighed.

"I'll do all the talking. Everything will be fine. With the contrasts I had constructed for you, they can't get a penny out of you."

I nodded to myself, but it didn't ease the churning in my stomach.

I hadn't seen her since the day I'd found out. I didn't know what to expect. As if on cue, the door opens and a middle aged man saunters in first, bald and beady eyed, his gaze fell on me and Mr. Wisniewski.

"Ms. Costa." He nodded to me. "I'm sorry we meet again under these circumstances."

I don't answer. I'd met him once or twice before, but not enough to leave a lasting impression. He reminded me of a hairless mole. That's it.

Right before the door could shut, Destiny herself strut in with her head held high. Her black curls were now tamed into a thick braid, small delicate plastic flowers peeked through each plait. She didn't look at me or even regard my existence. Not even an apologetic glance. My stomach sank watching her cold demeanor. There was a time when I considered her a sister. For the longest time, she was the only one I could trust.

She didn't acknowledge my attorney either as she sat down across from me. In a tailored lavender suit, she examined her matching nails as if we hadn't been best friends for the last two decades. To think I used to spill my guts to this woman and had embraced her when a guy broke her heart.

"Let's-" Mr. Wisniewski was cut off as the door swung open once more. "Begin?"

My breath got trapped in my throat as he walked in, his dark- almost black eyes falling on me. "Rosie." He almost sighed in relief.

I used to find his gaze alluring, but now his inky eyes left a trail of disgust running across my skin. I remember reading an article, whether true or not, it takes seven to ten years for the complete body to regenerate new cells. In that amount of time it would be as if he had never kissed me, touched me- fucked me.

I looked forward to that thought.

"What's he doing here?" Mr. Wisniewski demanded, standing up quickly from his seat.

"It was the only way I could speak with her." Luca defended himself as I sank further down into my seat.

Fucking hell.

"Rosie, please." Luca rounded the table, but stopped when Mr. Wisniewski quickly stepped in front of him.

"Oh, stop." Destiny sighed, finally lifting her gaze to me. "You weren't begging for her last night."