37 | The Lost

⚠️Mention of suicide and overdose.⚠️

《¤Rosie¤》

My fingers drum against the mahogany wooden table as I glance towards the stairs once more. When I woke, the sun had already begun its descent behind the dense wood-line behind the house. That was over an hour ago. Darkness cloaks the little yard still left bare and moonlight casts an ominous glow over the treetops.

The fluorescent lights cast a soft yellow glow on the off white kitchen walls and warmed the room in a strange way. It smelled different than New York. The hint of old wood, fresh paint, musk, and all of it was topped with an undertone of an earthy scent that filled the house. It smelled... old. I didn't think that was possible. At some point I opened one of the small windows above the kitchen sink, allowing a soft summer breeze to brush through. I could smell pine and the faint scent of rain, hear the obnoxious crickets singing into the night, and feel the dry air fill my lungs.

I was the first one up. Dom was still out cold and I didn't want to chance a run in with death checking in on Hana.

So I sat in silence.

I'd never been to the countryside before. I'd grown up in the vast city of Manhattan and had to learn how to navigate the bustling streets at a young age.

Here. It was peaceful, alarmingly so. I wasn't used to the silence. I wasn't used to nature surrounding us at every turn. The old house groaned and settled with every gust of wind. It was just as eerie as it was calming. The floorboards squeaked and groaned with the slightest shift of weight, forcing me to remain where I've been for the last hour.

I didn't want to wake them. Not after everything.

The sudden groan from the floor above had my head tilting to the side. Heavy footsteps shuffled from the bedroom and then trailed down the hall to the bathroom. After a few minutes the toilet flushed. The house was so quiet, even the the stairs groaned and complained beneath the heavy weight of the man coming down the stairs.

My eyes shifted in their direction just as he reached the landing. His eyes flickered around himself before settling on me. He was in his jeans and t-shirt again seeing that his bag was still on the floor beside my suitcase by the front door.

"Did you sleep at all?"

"Yup." I sigh as I lean back into the uncomfortable chair, my spine giving a subtle pop in protest. My ass hurt from sitting on the hard wooden seat. "Did you sleep okay?"

He hummed his response and collapsed into a chair across from me. "How long have you been sitting here?"

"Not long." I shrug as I stretch my legs out in front of me.

"Hana up yet?"

"I don't know and I don't want to find out." I admit. "I'm too young to die."

He let out a tired chuckle as he turns his head towards the open window. We sit in silence, neither of us feeling the need to fill it quite yet. The crickets chirp softly and the occasional rustle of leaves are the only sounds around us.

"It's peaceful here." He murmurs quietly. "It's... it's nice."

I nod to myself as I glance towards the swaying branches that dance across the moons glow. "It gives the illusion that there are parts in the world that aren't so bad." I can feel his eyes on me, but I can't bring myself to meet his gaze. "What are we going to do? I've been brain storming for the last hour and I've got nothing to show for it. Do we just stay on the run? Do we face the music? Like what the hell are we doing right now? Hiding?"