23 | His Ex

"Where are we going?" I asked for the 100th time

"It's a surprise," Ace replied, turning onto a different street. I didn't recognize where we were so I was getting anxious to know where we were going.

Ace had asked me to hangout today but he didn't tell me what we were going to do. He said to dress casual so I just showed up with a pair of beige cargo pants and a white tank top. I layered it with a brown cardigan.

"We're here," he announced, parking the car and killing the engine.

"Farewell Cafe?" I asked, trying to hide my excitement.

"I know you used to love going to cute cafe's for the pastries as a kid so I was hoping you still enjoyed doing that," Ace admitted. He sounded really nervous that I wasn't going to like this place but little did he know, I had this place on my list to go to for so long.

It was just a semi far drive away so I never really made the trek to come out.

"I've always wanted to go here," I told him, hopping out of the car.

"Yeah, we used to live here for a few years. That's how I found out about this place," Ace said, following me into the cafe.

Oh yeah, I remembered when Uncle Marcel moved for a few years when we started high school. He had to commute to the restaurant for awhile before he finally decided to move back to our city. Ace had already gone to boarding school by that time so I didn't really see him anyways.

We entered the cafe, the familiar scent of coffee and sugar hitting my nose. I loved that scent. It reminded me that I needed to go back to the Corner Cafe soon because I hadn't been back in so long.

"What do you want?" He asked, his eyes still scanning the menu.

"I'll get an iced matcha latte with almond milk," I told him. Even though I loved the scent of coffee, I didn't exactly like the taste that much.

He nodded. "Any pastries?"

"A chocolate croissant," I replied, scanning the pastries in the little display they had by the cash register.

"Okay, you can find us a seat and I'll order for us," he instructed. I knew he just didn't want me to pay so he made me go find a table for us.

I found an empty table by the window. It was a good location because we could people watch outside and get some good sunlight. I always loved window seats. I used to love cafes as a kid for the pastries but now I enjoyed it for the ambiance. Working at a cafe just made me feel more productive.

"Here you go," Ace placed my matcha and chocolate croissant in front of me. He got a iced coffee and a chocolate croissant for himself.

"Thank you," I smiled. He returned a small smile and give me a slight nod.

His way of saying "you're welcome."

"I hope you like it," he said, lifting the coffee up to his lips to take a sip.