50 | Set Up

Earlier that day

Earlier that day...

As I walked into work, my phone in my back pocket buzzed uncontrollably. I was exhausted after a full day of school but I knew I had to push through a few more hours before I could finally take a break.

The only thing that's giving me motivation is that I get to see Brooklyn after work.

Am I growing dependent on her?

I took out my phone from my back pocket as I slipped into the back employee room to grab my work uniform. I turned it on to see 20 calls and a few texts from Bridgette.

What the fuck?

I opened up her messages first to see what she needed. Maybe she was in trouble.

My heart sunk as I saw the photo she sent me.

It was a picture of Hayes and Brooklyn talking at school against the lockers.

Bridgette followed up the picture with "rekindling the relationship?"

My heart was beating uncontrollably and my palms started sweating. This couldn't be real right?

My phone buzzed with another text from Bridgette.

Bridgette: Can you talk right now? It's urgent!!

Me: I'm at work right now. What's up with the photo?

Bridgette: I can explain. I saw them at school literally flirting. Can I come after your work to talk?

Me: Can you just explain over text?

Bridgette: Can't, needs to be said in person.

Me: Fine, just swing by around 10pm

Throughout my entire shift, my mind was solely focused on the photo that Bridgette had sent me. The sinking feeling in my stomach never left and it was twice as hard to put up a front in front of the paying customers.

It was a good thing I wasn't working with Ace today because he would notice something was wrong with me immediately. I was less chatty and smiley with the customers and I could tell our regular customers were confused but didn't want to say anything.

My phone buzzed with another text and I pulled it out quickly.

Brooklyn <3: Hey, I'm heading over soon.