30 | Top of the World

"Why is everyone running around with posters?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion once another person passed by with a huge poster

"You didn't hear? The Winter Ball date and theme was finally announced yesterday so everyone is starting to ask people to the ball now," Stacey explained, pulling up our school's Instagram page announcement on her phone to show me.

The dance was in two weeks and the theme was Fairytale. No one followed the dress up theme anyways even though the entire gym was decorated according to the theme.

"Did Jonah ask you yet?" I asked Andrea. She was the only one of us actually dating someone at the moment.

She nodded. "He took me out on a little date last night and then asked me then. It was really cute."

"Aw that sounds so adorable," Abby cooed.

"What's up with you and Andre?" Stacey asked Abby. "I never got to ask."

Abby flushed at the question. "We've been texting a lot and I'm just going to see how it goes."

"Wow that's great! As long as he doesn't hurt you then I approve," I told her, smiling. Even though I didn't know Andre that much, I could tell he was a player and didn't do commitment easily. I could also see how he was looking at Abby on her birthday though so maybe he would change for her.

I wondered if Jameson would ask me. After I hung out with his mom and him for a bit at his place, I didn't know where we stood. He had met my parents already too and we weren't even dating yet. We didn't talk about anything since his mom was home so I really didn't know where we stood. I knew I liked him a little more though.

The way my body reacted to him was not a coincidence.

"What is he doing?!" Stacey screeched, she was facing someone behind me so I couldn't see who she was talking about yet.

School was pretty uneventful today so once it finally got to lunch time, I was excited to see my friends again.

I turned my head towards who she was talking about and to my surprise, Hayes was standing on the table with a poster in his hands. In front of him was Jade.

"Will you go to Winter Ball with me?" He practically shouted so the entire cafeteria could hear. I could hear Jade squeal in excitement as she jumped up to give him a hug.

I rolled my eyes at the entire encounter.

"Do girls really like that?" Jameson asked. He had started sitting with us during lunch again and he was part of the reason why I was excited for lunch. "Getting asked to the ball in front of the entire school?"

"Not every girl," Abby replied, eyeing me slightly. I had remembered I told her one day that I didn't like public declarations of love because I just thought it was embarrassing so I felt kind of touched she remembered.