42 | Christmas

Christmas with my family involved a huge family reunion with my entire extended family

Christmas with my family involved a huge family reunion with my entire extended family. Our family would host Christmas every year because it was my parents' favorite holiday.

They went all out with decorations, presents, food, and everything else Christmas related. I was excited to see my cousins again because I hadn't seen some since last Christmas.

All our family members flew in for the Christmas weekend and they stayed in our extra spare bedrooms for a few days. It was honestly chaotic but it was the most fun time out of the entire year for me.

"So why do you suddenly want to invite Jameson and his mom over for Christmas?" Dad asked, genuinely curious. As far as he knew, we just worked on a school project together and nothing else.

He knew that Jameson and I hung out sometimes at our place but I think he assumed we just had homework or something to do.

I knew I shouldn't be keeping it a secret from my parents considering we weren't even dating so there was nothing to feel guilt about.

I mean, I didn't even know what Jameson and I were yet so I didn't know how to explain it to Dad.

"Uh, I guess we are kind of seeing each other now?" Was all I could say to explain our relationship.

"Seeing each other? What about Ace?" Dad asked, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

"Ace is old news, Dad," I sighed. "Jameson and I... are taking it slow. But I know I like him... a lot. I want this Christmas to be special for him and his mom. They usually spend it alone eating take out!"

I guess take out was no different than getting our party catered but still! I felt bad that they didn't have many people to spend it with.

"Okay, you can invite them over. I want to have a word with him now that I know he's dating my daughter," Dad replied in a fake stern voice.

"You can say dating but use it loosely," I corrected him. I didn't want Jameson to think I was telling everyone we were dating when we hadn't put any labels on it yet. "Better yet just say friends."

It was all so complicated.

"Kids these days. I don't even know what that means," Dad rolled his eyes at me.

"I'll tell Jameson they're invited to our party!" I took out my phone and shot a quick text to Jameson. I wanted to change the subject because I didn't want to explain things any further to my dad.

We had flown back last night and I hadn't talked to him since the flight. We had sat next to each other again but like the first flight, we spent most of the time sleeping.

Seconds later, my phone buzzed with a response from Jameson.

Jameson: I'll ask my mom. Tell your family thanks for offering but you didn't need to do that