32 | Babysitting Izzy

"Dorota had to go home for a family emergency so we need you to babysit Izzy while we are in France," was the first thing Mom told me when I got downstairs

"Dorota had to go home for a family emergency so we need you to babysit Izzy while we are in France," was the first thing Mom told me when I got downstairs. I had finished ready for school and went downstairs to get breakfast before leaving.

"What are you doing in France?" I asked. "And how long are you guys gonna be there?"

"Business trip to visit one of our hotel locations there," Mom told me. "And just for the weekend. Henry will be here to take her to school and back home but I need you to watch her. You guys can order food for meals since Dorota won't be here to cook."

"Do I have to, Mom?" I groaned. Babysitting my bratty little sister was not on the top of my list of favorite activities.

"Yes," she sighed. "Please she's your sister and she's been wanting to spend more time with you."

"Fine," I gave in, feeling bad that I didn't really spend that much time with Izzy. "But can I have friends over to help out?"

"I don't know, Brookie," Mom said, sounding very reluctant. She was usually super lenient about me having people over but since they weren't home and I would just be with Izzy alone, she was more hesitant.

"Please, Mom," I begged. "Two or three people are better than one when taking care of kids."

She rolled her eyes at my attempt in trying to convince her. Since Izzy was not a toddler anymore, she was able to do things herself so she really didn't need that many people to watch her.

I just wanted someone to keep me company because I felt lonely whenever my parents left on business trips. Izzy wasn't old enough to have those kinds of conversations with me yet so I felt like I had no one else to talk to about it.

"Fine but you have to text us hourly updates," Mom gave in, tossing me a banana to take for breakfast.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed, rushing over to her to give her a hug. I couldn't wait for my friends to come over for a sleepover this weekend. Mom shook her head at me but I caught the small smile that was on her lips as she hugged me back.

"Hurry up and head to school or else you'll be late," Mom rushed me, gesturing me towards the front door where Henry was probably already waiting for me.

I couldn't sleep that well last night because I couldn't stop thinking about the encounter with Nadia and Evelyn. I really wanted to believe Jameson wasn't using me but it was hard when it had only been a few weeks since their breakup.

Once Henry pulled up to the familiar two toned building of Starrymont Highschool, I felt excited because I couldn't wait to ask my friends to spend the night this weekend. It would be so much fun.

"Thanks, Henry," I said, opening the door of the car. He nodded at my words and watched me enter the school before driving off.

***