Chapter 27

His car stopped in front of the famous event center, there were a lot of expensive cars, with valet boys going up and down collecting car keys and parking the cars for their owners

Even from inside his car he could hear chattering and muffled noises from the background, he could see the flashing lights of cameras all over the place

He sighed out, looked at his wristwatch and opened the car door before stepping out.
It was much more crowded outside than he imagined.
The red carpet was filled with different people, prestigious men and elegant women walked up and down the red carpet, taking pictures and answering questions.

He adjusted his tie and took long strides and walked towards the red carpet, he wasn't really a fan of things like this, the attention wasn't really necessary, so many eyes at him all at once.
It made his skin crawl with anxiety.

He let out a deep breath as one of the cameras flashed his eyes, he composed himself, not stopping he headed straight towards the entrance.
He could hear different voices from the media people there, all asking different questions all at once.

The same questions they always asked whenever he went to events like this.
Why he didn't come with a plus one? Or who his plus one is?
He ignored them all and opened the double doors to the huge hall and stepped in.

The air became chillier as he let out a sigh of relief.
Shutting his eyes and slightly clenching his jaw.
His eyes scanned through the huge halls, it was beautifully decorated with blue and white shiffon clothes covering the window and the huge pillars on each corner of the hall, tiny blue and white bow ties adorned the stage.

The huge yellow chandelier up in the ceiling of the hall, had two set colors of lights, white and yellow glass bulbs glowed around it.

He looked back down and almost lost his balance as someone grabbed his arm and locked theirs with it, his eyes trailed to the figure and he almost puked at the annoying smile she had on.

"Good evening Nate" she purred smiling at him as he assessed her face, she had too much make up on, her lips were excessively red due to the heavy lipstick she had on and the smell of her perfume was suffocating, it was like she bathed in it.
He sighed and shut his eyes.

He never should have asked her to be his plus one, but he really didn't have a choice.
He looked at her dress and it was completely backless, showing everything all the way down to her waist.

He just grunted in response and scanned the huge halls, he could already see people mingling and socializing, giving each other fake smiles and unnecessary compliments. He could recognize a few, but others he just was seeing for the first time.

"Shall we"? Her high pitched voice reached his ears and he grimaced before nodding and walking away with her in his arms, he didn't like how close she was to him, it suffocated him.
His palms were getting sweaty, and his tie felt tighter, he was thinking of ways to get her off his hands, so he could breath properly.

He was headed towards the bar, at least there he could finally get away from her, while they both walked towards the bar at the right side of the huge hall, he avoided making conversations with anyone, most of the people here only knew his father anyway, they wouldn't recognize him easy, so it was easy for him to slip between them without being forced to smile and make conversation like the business man his father must have painted him to be.

He picked up a glass of water from one of the trays a server held while passing them, soon they both stopped at the bar counter, there was a guy there, he didn't look to be old but older than Nate.
He was black, tall and muscular.

He leaned his back on the counter and she stood just beside him, clinging onto his arm like a leach.

Spade stood at the entrance of the hall, his eyes not even looking at the decorations, he didn't care about all that, infact he wouldn't be here if it wasn't very necessary.