Chapter 8

Audrey

Everyone filed out of the room, closing the door behind them. I let out a shaky sigh. According to the Queen, everything I know is a lie. My dad isn't my dad. My mom didn't give me away. My dad and the egg donor aren't really mates. The egg donor killed Malcom because he threatened me, David, and Gardenia.

However, that's not what I grew up to believe. I always thought that Anthony Reynolds is my father; I just don't look like him. I was told that the egg donor didn't want me, so she gave me to my father. My father told me that he was rejected by the Queen, who then mated with another man. I was taught that Uncle Malcom's murder was unjustified. I believed that all of these people were monsters.

Now that I really think about it, everything could just be lies.

My father never had any proof of what happened. We all just took his word for it. Everyone trusted him. I never doubted him. I never had a reason to. He's my father. I didn't question what he told me.

But he fooled all of us. He played his part well. No one suspected him of anything. No one would even think I was kidnapped. I sure as hell wasn't treated like I was a victim.

He loved me. I know for a fact that he loved me. It may have been an act in the beginning; but I know that it wasn't an act when he died. Honestly, I don't care how this all started. Anthony Reynolds raised me. He loved me. He cared for me. He's my father. Not biologically, but he's the closest thing I ever had to a dad.

I mentally slapped myself. "Why do I even believe her?" I muttered. She didn't have any proof. For all I know, Stewart could be in on her lie.

"You believe her because she's your mom" a voice informed me. I shrieked and grabbed something. I put it in front of me as a shield. The same voiced chuckled. "Why would you use a pillow to protect yourself?" he questioned amusedly.

I shakily moved the pillow away from my face and attempted to put up an actual forcefield. "Dammit" I cursed. Apparently, my magic is still constricted and I can't feel Casey. I'm probably gonna die. This guy is gonna kill me. "What's your name?" I asked.

His loud shoes thumped on the tile floor. He's gonna kill me. "Why do you want to know?" he inquired. I'm too young to die! He laughed so hard, he started choking. "You're too young to die?" he snickered. I guess I said that out loud. His laugh was echoing in the room.

Is he actually laughing at me?! I finally looked up to see a guy in his forties maybe. Most of his hair was still brown, despite his age. And he was still laughing. Why is that even funny to him?! "I'm 18! I don't exactly want to get killed by some stranger!" I defended.

He sobered up and cleared his throat. "I'm your uncle. We're not blood-related, but I'm close to the King and Queen" he informed me.

I rolled my eyes. I told her I wanted time to think; but she sent me a guard dog? "Why did she send you here?" I questioned. It's only been a couple of hours since everyone left the room. Granted, that's a lot of time to think; but its not enough time to decide who I believe.

"No one sent me here. The Queen doesn't even know I'm here" he stated. He took a step towards me and I found myself trembling. He noticed, so he put his hands up and stopped moving. "Sorry. I'm not here to hurt you or anything. I just wanted to see you" he said softly.

I nodded in understanding. But I still don't trust him. He seems iffy. "Why would you want to see me?" I inquired.

"Can I sit?" he asked while pointing at the chair. I slowly nodded; and he eased into the seat. "Well, me and my mate are supposed to be your godparents- or at least a pair of you godparents" he explained.