Chapter 28

Audrey

I leaned into Thomas' side, sighing heavily. He was by my side the whole night, listening to the boring conversations between me and all the people I had met. Although, I haven't met everyone yet. "Hey, Thomas?" I asked quietly, so no one would hear me.

My mate hummed in response. "Who's that guy with Riley?" I tried my hardest to keep my voice steady, but it still came out shaky. Riley was sitting on a man's lap. I didn't mean this guy. I wasn't scared because she was with an unknown man, but this guy had red eyes. Like really, really red eyes. When I told Riley to make friends, I did not mean this guy.

Thomas used his thumb to rub circles on my lower back in attempt to soothe me. "Don't worry about him. He just looks scary" Thomas whispered in my hea. He guided me over to the table, keeping his hand on my back. "Audrey. This is Phoenix, the Alpha of the Red Eyed Pack" What the hell? There's a pack of red-eyed people.

"I would shake your hand, but..." Phoenix said, trailing off. He was an older man, maybe in his thirties. But because of Riley, he was holding a bunch of toys. There were two small cars in his right hand and a stuffed animal in the other hand. RIley had her own stuffed animals, acting as if they were interacting with one another.

"It's nice to meet you" I told him, with a small laugh. Unlike most of the times I have said it tonight, my statement was actually true. "Riley, sweetie. Isn't it past your bedtime?" I asked, leaning down to her level. She shook her head as a yawn escaped her lips. "I don't think your new friend would like it if you fell asleep on him" I told her softly.

She turned and looked up at Phoenix. It was like his eyes didn't faze her at all. "I really don't mind. I have a little boy about her age at home" the Alpha told me. Who would've guessed that the beefy guy with blood red eyes has a soft spot for kids?

Smiling, I nodded my head. "Just come find me or my brother if she falls asleep" I told him. With a handful of toys, he saluted me. I laughed as Thomas steered me away from them. "Is there a Purple Eyed Pack too?" I asked jokingly once we were far enough away from Phoenix.

My mate shook his head in amusement. "Audrey!" my arm was yanked back. Thomas growled lowly, ready to attack. I turned to face my sister, who pulled me in the first place. Thomas relaxed, giving Gar an apologetic smile before leaving us alone. Gar continued to drag me away until we were in the corner of the ballroom, hidden away in the shadows. I gave her a suspicious look. "He's here. My mate is here" she whispered.

I gasped. "Well, why are you talking to me? Go talk to him" I demanded fiercely.

She shook her head at me. "I don't think he's figured out who his mate is. I've seen him look around for me, but he hasn't spotted me" she stated.

I grabbed her shoulders and lightly shook her. "What is wrong with you? Stop hiding and go talk to him" I urged. Why hid in a corner away from him?

"He's with another girl" she answered my unasked question. Tears gathered in her eyes, which she quickly wiped away. She wasn't quick enough; the tears rolled down her cheeks and dropped on the floor. "I knew all this mate bond shit was fake. I don't know why I thought that we would meet, instantly fall in love, and rule a pack together" she said, not stopping the tears.

My heart ached for my sister. I gently pulled her into my embrace and rubbed her back. "Just talk to him. You're jumping to conclusions. That girl could just be a friend. And he's trying to look for you. So that's gotta count for something" I told her. Gar sniffled and nodded her head while pulling away. "Which one is he?" I questioned, turning to the crowd.

She scanned the crowd for a few moments. "Right side. Brown hair. Light blue button up. Sleeves rolled to his elbows. Black jeans" she slowly described her mate as she gawked at him. "Damn" she muttered, turning away from the crowd. I looked around, until I spotted the man she described. He was well built, but I couldn't see his face. My mate has a better body. I thought. But I might be a bit biased.