Chapter 12. 1

Asher

I watched as Audrey turned her back on me and walked away. Using my advanced vision, I could still see tear drops falling from her face as she got closer to the forest lines. I felt guilty for making her cry. I knew I was testing my luck just by coming here. Its no secret that Audrey's not my biggest fan at the moment. And I just made matters worse by yelling at her.

"Asher Joseph Reed!" a voice roared at me. Uh-oh. She used my full name. Cringing, I slowly turned around to face my mate. Her angry red face and clenched fists were signals that she obviously heard what happened. "What the hell is your problem?!" she screeched.

I winced at her voice. "I'm sorry" I mumbled. I didn't do it half-heartedly. I mumbled because I felt ashamed. I couldn't even look at my mate anymore. She looked so mad; and her anger was directed at one person. Me.

Eve walked closer to me and glared at my head. "That's all you have to say?!" she shouted. I looked down at the ground with a frown on my face. I honestly don't know what else I could say. I made a mistake; and I'm sorry for it. "A mistake?" she chuckled dryly. I guess I should attempt to keep my mental wall up. "You've made more than one mistake" she spat.

Okay. I'll admit. I've been screwing up big-time lately. "Audrey doesn't trust us" Eve continued. I bit my lip to stop myself from saying anything. "She would barely acknowledge us until two days ago-"

"She acknowledged you two days ago" I corrected her.

Eve narrowed her eyes at me. I sighed in defeat and let her continue talking. "We weren't there her whole life. It wasn't our fault that we weren't there. But the point is that we didn't raise her. She had Anthony. He took care of her. He raised her. And as much as I would hate to admit it; he did a damn good job at raising her"

But we could've done a better job. Eve shook her head as she read my thoughts. "You can't tell me with absolute certainty that we could've done a better job. That girl is headstrong. She stands up for what she believes in. And she's loyal as hell. He raised her right. I know he could've done a lot worse; but he treated Audrey like a daughter" she stated.

I get that Anthony wasn't a horrible father. But he never should've been her father in the first place. "But she is our daughter. Not his. Ours" I argued.

Eve sighed. "Not in Audrey's eyes. That man raised her, Asher. We didn't. That is her father; whether we like it or not. We can try to be her parents, but it will take a whole lot of work. And you killing Anthony in front of her and yelling at her like that, doesn't make any of this easier. You need to accept the fact that Anthony was her father, or she will never be your daughter" Eve announced before walking in the same direction as Audrey.

Pondering over her words, I sat on the porch. Its not completely my fault for killing Anthony in front of her. I didn't even know it was Audrey. I'd only seen her as a baby; sometimes, I even forgot what she looked like as a baby. I carried the only picture I had of her inside of my wallet.

After fishing my wallet out of my pocket, I pulled out Audrey's small picture. It was worn out from being 18 years old. There were fold marks and a piece of the corner was missing, but you could still see Audrey clearly in the photo. She had her small strands of dark-colored hair and her blue eyes. She was the only one that inherited my hair. But she definitely inherited Eve's height.

I smiled softly at the picture. I need to get over this whole Anthony thing. I want to get over it. But its hard not to hate him after everything he's put us through. We constantly looked for Audrey; only to find out that she was less than an hour long run away. He made our daughter hate us. He made us celebrate Gar's and Dave's birthday, knowing that it was Audrey's birthday; and we couldn't celebrate with her. Because of him, we missed out on her whole life.