Chapter 40

Audrey

We got out of the car after Thomas stopped in front of the castle. I smoothed out my dress as we began to walk. On our way to the entrance, he intertwined our fingers. "You'll be fine" he assured me.

I nodded, taking a deep breath. "Jacobs!" I chirped, seeing the older man. He grinned, holding his arms out for a hug.

I moved away from my mate to hug Jacobs. "Hello, little wolfie" he muttered, patting my head. I scowled at him, regretting giving him a hug. "How's the mated life treating you?" he asked as we walked into the castle.

Shrugging, I grabbed Thomas' hand again. "Pretty good" I informed him. "How's Hope?"

"Pretty good" he repeated my words. I rolled my eyes at him. "It's been awhile since we've had a chat. Do you mind if I steal away your mate?" Jacobs asked Thomas.

My mate shook his head. "Don't be late for dinner" he said, pressing a kiss to my forehead. Thomas walked off and Jacobs started walking down a different hallway.

We were half an hour early, so that was enough time for a small chat. "Is there something specific you wanted to talk about?" I asked Jacobs.

He shrugged and slowly nodded his head. "David officially adopted Riley. And a few people have been asking me about his heir to the throne" Jacobs informed me. His unspoken question was very clear. Would Riley be the next Werewolf Queen?

She would be his daughter, but she's not his blood. She wouldn't be a werewolf. How can a non-werewolf rule all werewolves. It's not exactly sensable. I know that a lot of people would be against it. But it's not their choice. "It's up to Dave" I stated. He gets to choose how it works out. He makes the rules as the new King.

Lila is pregnant, so the baby will be about ten years younger than Riley. If Dave decides to give Riley the throne at the normal 18 age, then the baby would probably be eight. It's too young for them to even argue about it. But if he waits until the baby is the right age to give them the throne, Riley would be in her twenties. I don't know how she would feel about not being chosen. She could either be understanding or jealous. It could work the same way for the baby. If Riley is given the throne when the child is older, they could be fine with it or they could try to sabotage.

"She's a good kid. We've been trying to get her to mature a bit more" Jacobs told me. I nodded my head. She does act a bit younger than she actually is. "She has a habit of teleporting to her room when she's mad though. It drives Dave crazy"

I sighed. "I'll talk to her about it" I offered. "Anyway, did you hear everyone's pregnant?" I asked. He nodded, looking at me with an apologetic smile. "I'm fine" I assured him, a smile forming on my face. "Honestly, I cried for a few minutes after I found out. But I'm okay now" I admitted.

He smiled and nodded his head. "Would you want a boy or a girl?" Jacobs asked. I looked down, imagining a big belly. A boy or a girl. It was a simple question. Most people had already thought it out already. But I didn't really mind either way.

They would be my baby. I wouldn't care if it was a boy or a girl. "I don't have a preference" I stated. Jacobs nodded. "Have you and Hope ever tried for a baby?" I asked.

His face fell. "Yeah, for a couple years. It didn't work" he said sadly. I gave him a small smile, which he returned. "Come on, little wolfie. We should head to the dining hall" he suggested.

Nodding, I followed him down a different hallway. I felt nerves bubbling up in my stomach. Taking a deep breath, I swallowed them down and tried to find a distraction. "When are Gardenia and David going to officially take their roles?" I questioned.