Niall Strep Throat

(3rd person)

Niall woke with a burning pain in his throat. He cringed as he sat up in bed. He looked around and noticed the other boys were still sleeping. The bus was still moving and it was dark so he fingered it was early in the morning. He crawled out of bed and went to search for something that might sooth his burning throat. He grabbed some pain relievers and a bottle of water. He popped the pills in his mouth and took a drink of water. He yelped a little in pain as he swallowed the pills. Tears popped to his eyes and he grabbed his throat trying to stop the pain. When he finally got control of his pain he went back to his bunk and crawled in bed. He tried to fall back to sleep but he couldn't he laid there in his bunk and began to cry.

(Liam's P.O.V.)

My alarm went off at 6:00 and I groaned and rolled over. I knew the other boys wouldn't be awake yet. I yawned and stood up slowly and I heard soft sobs coming from another bunk. I looked around and discovered it was Niall. I quickly walked over and put my hand on his back.

"Nialler," I said softly. He looked up at me. His eyes were red and his checks soaked with tears. My heart broke. "What's wrong mate?" I asked softly.

"My throat hurts," he whimpered softly.

"Aww mate, did you take some medicine?"

"Swallowing made it hurt more," he cried. I felt so bad for him.

"Ok buddy, come with me, let' have a look at it," I told him. He climbed out of bed and I took him up front. I sat him down on the couch and crouched in front of him. "Open your mouth Nialler," I said softly. He did as I said and I used my phone as I light to see his throat. The back of his throat was raw and red and did indeed look very painful. "Aww, Niall. I think we need to take you to the doctor," I told him softly. His eyes got wide.

"No Liam please," he begged.

"Niall we've got to get you better," I said putting my hand on his shoulder. He nodded a little. "I'm gonna tell Paul ok?" He nodded. "Ok, be right back." I woke Paul and told him about Niall's condition. He sighed then went to tell the bus driver to take us to the doctor. By that time the other two boys had woken up and noticed how sad and sick Niall was. We all did our best to comfort him but it was clear he was in a lot of pain. When we got to the doctor Niall asked me to go in with him. I agreed and Paul and I took him in. The doctor looked at his throat and checked him over.

"Looks like he's got strep. I'm going do a strep test to make sure though," he told us. He took a swab from Niall's throat and went back to check. Niall's eyes were wide and sad as he looked at me.

"What are we gonna do?" he asked me.

"We're gonna get you better Nialler," I told him.

"What about our show tomorrow?"

"You're health is more important mate," I told him. I rubbed his back trying to comfort him until the doctor came back.

"He's defiantly got strep. I'm going to proscribe him some antibiotics and something for the pain. Until he's feeling better no singing." Niall looked down sadly. The doctor was very clear about this. Niall could not sing until he was better. We picked up his prescription and went back to the bus. Harry and Louis were waiting for us. I had texted them and told them what the doctor had said.

"Hey mate," Harry said softly putting a hand on Niall's shoulder.

"We got you enough ice cream to hold you over for a while," Louis smiled.

"I'm sorry guys," Niall said hanging his head.

"Why?" Harry asked.

"I've let you down because I can't sing." Tears rolled down his face.

"No Niall, it's not your fault you're sick," I told him.

"You can still play your guitar. We'll just cover your parts," Louis added. Niall nodded.

"Here, take your medicine and we'll get you some ice cream, yeah?" Harry asked. Niall smiled a little and nodded. He took his medicine and harry got him a big bowl of ice cream which he ate happily.

"We'll get you better mate," I told him. He nodded and started to close his eyes. "Get some rest. You've earned it." He laid down on the couch and Harry covered him with a blanket. He fell asleep shortly after.

(Niall's P.O.V.)

The boys took care of me all day. They made sure I took my medicine and fed me all the ice cream I could eat. I felt terrible that I was letting them down. Even though they kept telling me I wasn't I couldn't shake that feeling. Before bed Liam came out front with me.

"Hey Nialler, last time for your medicine tonight," he said with a smile. I nodded. He handed me the pills and some water and I took them. I could tell it was working because it was easier to take them now. "Don't worry about tomorrow. Just play your guitar and we'll cover your parts. You'll still be onstage for the fans so you won't be letting anyone down."

"I just hate that you guys have to work harder because of me," I said sadly. He lifted my head to look at him.

"You would do it for any one of us. Don't worry," he told me. I smiled a little and nodded. "Let's go to bed," he said. I nodded and stood up. I got in bed and the boys told me goodnight. I fell asleep pretty quickly after that. I woke up about five and my throat burned. I whimpered a little and looked around noticed everyone was still sleeping. I tried to go back to sleep but I couldn't. My throat hurt too much. I knew if I took medicine it would hurt so I didn't want to take it I just laid in my bed and began to cry. Liam woke up some time later and came over to me. He started rubbing my back and trying to calm me down.

"Shh, shh, Nialler, what's wrong?" he asked.

"Throat hurts," I sniffed.

"Ok, buddy lets get you some medicine." He started to walk away but I stopped him.

"No, it's gonna hurt when I take it," I cried.

"Shh, it'll be ok. You'll feel better," he soothed. "I'll be right back." He walked up front and grabbed me my medicine and came back with it. "Here," he said handing me the pills and water. I popped them in my mouth bracing myself for the pain and swallowed them. I wince in pain. But it was over quickly. "There you go mate," he said softly. "We've got to get ready mate," he whispered. I nodded and got up. I got myself ready and we all made our way to the stage. The boys sang and I just played my guitar. I felt terrible. That night we came out and the crowd went nuts. Before our second song Harry spoke up.

"Hello all you beautiful people out there. Now our good friend Mr. Horan back here is sick and he's not allowed to sing." There was an audible aww from the crowd. "But he wanted to be on stage for you so he's still here playing his guitar," Harry continued and pointed at me. I waved as they all cheered.

"Alright boys, let's go," Liam said. We started into the next song and the crowd went nuts. The rest of the show went just fine. After that show we had a few days off so I could rest and get better. The boys looked after me for the next few days until I felt better.